Guess W asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Was given a chihuahua owner ill with cancer, table fed dog will not eat dog food how do I get back to dog food?

The dog has been fed table food because unable to care for him reason I was given him, he's overweight (severely) tried mixing scraps with dog food he seperates and eats only scraps how do I reverse him into eating dog food, weight loss tools

Favorite Answer

You really need to be quite tough. Feed dog food and if he doesn't eat it pick it up and then put it down again later. The dog will eat when he is hungry enough. It is best not to give in at all ....no human food whatsoever.... no matter how sorry you feel for him. Serious obesity will shorten his life significantly and cost you a lot in unnecessary vet bills.

He will eat when he's hungry. The fact that he's overweight means he's really not that hungry. He's only eating the table scraps because they are irresistable. Leave the dog food down, when he gets truly hungry, he WILL eat it. Don't be surprised if he only eats a small amount at first, he's got plenty of fat to burn through in the mean time. DO NOT give in and give him scraps, you'll only teach him to hold out for the good stuff in the future.

You need to be tough....sooner or later he will eat only the dog food when he's hungry enough...maybe try mixing canned food in with it at first just to make it a little more appealing for him...then slowly decrease the amount and hopefully it will work.....

I was in the same situation years ago....but this dog was hand feed....he wouldn't eat unless you sat there and feed him every morsel....talk about a pain....slowly....we got him to eat by himself

HI

I have a dog that is finicky too, always has been. I get an inexpensive dry gravy mix and mix 1-2 tablespoons into her food and she gobbles it up. it isnt the best 'thing' for a dog but my dog went 2 days without eating as she didnt like dog food. Gravy has always worked for us.

Source(s): I own 6 dogs.

Try tricking him into thinking he's getting human food. Have the kibble in a bowl on the table and hand him a few pieces. Then put a few more in his bowl making him think it's a treat. eventually, he will start eating on his own without the trickery.

Source(s): Same problem with my dachsund/chiuahua mix. Adopted her from a friend that was moving.
  • He will eat when he is hungry. Offer the food 3 times a dayish. Dogs can be stubborn when it comes to this lol. He is waiting for you to give in.