Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

Is Slayer a satanic band?

Because I can't decide if their symbols are for shock value or if they are actually satanists

• Favorite Answer

From an interview:

Interviewer: A lot of bands that were influenced by you, like Burzum and Mayhem, have taken black metal to new extremes, burning down churches and committing murder. I always got the impression that Slayer weren’t really practicing Satanists, despite a lot of the lyrics dealing with Satanism. Do you want to set the record straight?

Tom Araya: (laughs) Okay, you got us. We’re not practicing Satanists. I guess that the best way to describe our fascination with Satanism or serial killers and the psychology of murder is to say that we are all on this planet to learn and experience. Those are the things that I’m learning in my lifetime. They really just spark my curiosity because all of these things are really about the mind. When you write about stuff like that, you have to be really creative and use words you wouldn’t think of using, like “decorative.” You wouldn’t think to use a word like that in a Slayer song, but if you make it “decorative splatter,” it gives you a very visual image. I want people to read it and just think, “F***.”

• Erika

Is Slayer Satanic

Why do people attack Slayer for being satanic when there are many other bands that are much more 'in your face' satanic than Slayer? I mean, look at the black metal genre.

• Nathaniel2 years agoReport

no band in the black metal scene from 1991-1993 were satanic, you can tell which are from this era by how they speak of anton lavey(hint they hate him and Varg had a cover with his face crossed out

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is Slayer a satanic band?

Source(s): slayer satanic band: https://tr.im/8M139

They are neither satanic nor using shock value, You obviously are ignorant. The symbols are beautiful and meaningful. If you study satanic writings, are you suddenly a satanist? If you talk about the things you studied, does that make you satanist? No, it doesn't. If you make art, and someone says it looks satanic, it doesn't mean that you are.

I also assume you don't listen to metal, and furthermore don't have any conceptual understanding of how metal works. Metal is an emotional journey, unlike slow and crappy rock. You can change the emotions you feel based on sight and sound. "Shock value" doesn't apply here. The lyrics and graphics are meant to stimulate and arouse, not to shock. The imagery guides you, when your done riding the imagery and the tunes, you can be as devout to whatever religion you want to be.

• Ahmed3 years agoReport

Slow and crappy? dude you re such a metal head you don t know **** about music. Get educated

Slayer is not satanic, I mean Tom Araya is catholic so why would a catholic be in a satanist band

I am a new generation war vet with bad PTSD. Thank goodness for Slayer as lifting weights and listening to their music helps me with cope. .... LIfe is not always sunshine and lollipops but I am beginning to discover life is do-able. .... Slayer is pure anger, an emotion that nearly killed me. I love the fact they put it out there and make you deal with it.

I just hope is not bad that I m christian but I still listen to Slayer

• Jack

Not in the least. The original four members are all Catholic. Sure their music is heavy but most of their lyrics contain Biblical excerpts. They just tell stories in ways that people may or may not want to hear. I think they're fantastic!

I listen to slayer and im a christian.

they have satanic imagery but i dont think its specifically in the aim of being satanic.