House Cleaner Stole From Me, Any Ideas On How To Get My Money Back?

I hired a house cleaner to do a deep clean as a christmas present for my wife who is 9 months prego and cant clean it herself. This woman was recomended by one of my wifes coworkers. After a no call no show (blamed sick kids), she finally showed up to clean. I had the day off and did dishes and laundry while she... show more I hired a house cleaner to do a deep clean as a christmas present for my wife who is 9 months prego and cant clean it herself. This woman was recomended by one of my wifes coworkers.
After a no call no show (blamed sick kids), she finally showed up to clean. I had the day off and did dishes and laundry while she cleaned.
After 3 hrs she said she was done. I was like, woah, I paid for a deep clean and carpets. I went around and scrutinized the work she had done. She missed a host of major cleaning items such as a toilet, dusting return air vets and loads of cobb webs just. I ended up getting her to stay there for another hour and she agreed to return the next day to finish due to the fact that she didnt bring cleaner for the range/stove or showers and she would take care of the rest of the list then. I already had the check made out but told her I wouldnt pay her until she was done the following day. As she was finishing to leave my wife showed up with my 18 month old. I went out and unloaded him and helped her inside. As the house cleaner left she agreed to come at 11 the following day. That evening I noticed that she had rearranged the presents under the christmas tree, I assumed while cleaning. However I noticed that the smallest gift, a gift from my wife to me, was not there. I knew she had gotten me an ipod for christmas. I took every item from under the tree to be sure. It was gone. I was pissed but was giving her the benefit of the doubt. I would wait till she came back to confront her about.
The next day she didnt show up and wouldnt answer her phone. I started to get a little worried.
I started to look thru the rest of my house to see what was missing.
Turns out she took $80 dollars from my wallet which was on the counter where I was doing dishes, probably when I went outside to get the kid. I never carry cash and had gotten it from my brothers and sister the night before because I was picking up a group present for our dad. I also realized that she took the check I had made out to pay her with. Of all things she replaced the check with a reciept for house cleaning services rendered and left it sticking out from under my wallet just enough to look as though the check was still there and I just didnt notice.
I called the bank instantly to cancel the check but she had already been to the branch and cashed it.
I called the police and made a report. They say it will be months before they will even investigate it!!! I printed off a copy of the check from the bank with her driverslicense number on it for them. I also furnished a picture I took of our christmas tree the night before she came over which showed the ipod still there. No one has been in my house but her. My wife didnt do it and my 18 month old couldnt have taken the money and he has no interest in the presents and wasnt home when it went missing. Not to mention the fact that she stole the check, for sure since she left me a reciept where the check was. I was thinking check fraud would nail her to the tree but the police say since I had already signed it I am SOL and it will be hard to prove.
I am livid. I want blood. I want to get my property back as legally as I can. We thought this was a person we could trust being that she worked regularly for a friend of ours. It turns out that my wifes friend had only used her once and found her via a craigslist add. I was mad, you have to be f-ing kidding me. I called her number again tonite to deliver an ultamatem about getting my stuff back and a babysitter for her kids answered and said she and her husband were at the movies, spending my money no doubt. I have her and her husbands phone numbers, all 3 e-mail addresses she uses, and I can very easily find out where she lives and I know she uses craigslist to advertise. Where her main selling point is how she is "HONEST-RELIABLE-DRUG FREE-FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED-AFFORDABLE". She also says she caters to the handycapped and elderly. If she is pulling this BS on me then I cant imagine how many helpless victims she has taken advantage of. I want my stuff back and I want to take her down a notch. Any schemes, trickery, wicked tomfoolery, threats, I dont care, I want all ideas you can come up with short of physical harm.
Get mean people. No forgive and let live comments allowed. This biach will lie to your face and stab you in the back.