Does Richard Dawkins represent a rapidly growing trend of anti-theism?

Richard Dawkins often corrects journalists by saying he is not just an atheist but an "anti-theist." It is interesting that many atheists have resisted the description "evangelical atheist" but Dawkins self-definition is reminiscent of that very moniker.

So, based on Dawkins' writings and lectures, is Dawkins just speaking for himself or is there a rapidly growing trend of anti-theism among atheists?

Favorite Answer

Yes, Richard Dawkins is the poster boy for a growing trend that started right around the time the world trade center towers were bombed. As this other poster above has stated, Those who lead the pack for this growing movement are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens For all their education and so called brains you would think they could differentiate between religious extremist and those who want to simply practice their faith peacefully . But they as well as others have used the WTC bombing event as a soap box or platform to launch hostile attacks against the majority of people who practice their faith peacefully.

I suspect that many Atheist like Dawkins, Hitchen and Harris know full well that the majority of people of faith are peaceful, but given the overwhelming evidence for the connection between societies that have oppressed or squashed faith in God and violence and blood shed, I guess they want to try and bring balance to the equation and give their side of the argument more leverage, Because as it stands now they are on the losing side of the debate .

Dawkins and atheist like him quite often try to distance themselves from the horrors that took place in societies such as the former USSR at the hand of Joseph Stalin and those like him, but I really don't see how they can seeing how for communism to thrive requires that faith in God be oppressed or erradicated ,Karl Marx even made this clear in his communist manifesto. So as far as I can see they don't have a leg to stand on when arguing these issues even in light of the recent world trade center bombings. God bless !

Richard Dawkins Poster

Dawkins does not speak for me or any other atheist, though I admire the man and his writings.

I am not anti-theist. I am for religious freedom and separation of religion and government.

Source(s): Atheist with a small a.

I am against religions that attempt to or have succeeded in hurting or harming others. Which basically includes all forms of organised religions.

I am not anti-theist because I am not against all forms of theism.

We're not the lemmings. We don't worship. Once he stops making sense, we'll stop listening.

I'm only against the politicization of religion. I don't care what fruitcake beliefs people want to hold.

How old is Dawkins? Like 50 something?

How old is atheism? The begining of every person's life since the begining of our species?

Thats too much credit for someone like him, I don't care what they **** he writes

I hope so. It's time that the violent religious maniacs be contained and they youth of all nations be set free of primitive superstition by science, reason and logic instead of the religious epistemology of faith in the preposterous, tradition, fear and religious authority. We may see peace in a generation by doing so.

I don't find Dawkins particularly extreme at all, if you read his books you'll find out.

Everyday I am driven further away from religion by fundamentalists.

I hope not, I really don't need another group of people harassing me because I don't share their beliefs.

I sure hope so. It's about time.

While most theists I know are decent people, I think that religion, itself, is causing increasing harm to society. It's about time that we, as a society, got past our old superstitious beliefs.