Natalie asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you think gay rights and gay marriage is a civil rights issue?

Why or why not?

Do you think marriage is a right?

Favorite Answer

It's absolutely a civil rights issue.

The debate on whether or not marriage is "right" can go back and forth til the end of time because it's not specifically mentioned in laws that it is, but it's also not specifically mentioned that it isn't. Someone cited the 14th Amendment and was right on target.

As a gay man, I'm usually the odd-man-out in the gay community because I support a legally equally recognized union. My personal opinion is that marriage is, in the UNITED STATES, a legal contract, however.

Yes, marriage is recognized by many, many religions as a "sacred union", but the United States is playing with fire to make that official. If some of these anti-gay-rights folks want to get down to the nitty gritty, they need to keep in mind that by specifically naming marriage a religious union, they shouldn't legally be entitled to any legal benefits. We separate Church and State for that very reason.

Marriage is nothing more than a legal contract in the United States. If we legally recognized it as anything other than that, we'd be giving special treatment to the religious right which is, in itself, Unconstitutional.

Like I said, though, I personally fully support an equally fulfilling civil union. The problem with Civil Unions in, say, California is that they are NOT equal. There are a LOT of legal benefits that are unavailable to a couple whose entered a civil union. If civil unions really WERE the exact same thing as a marriage (legally) - I don't personally see the big deal. Yeah, there's the "separate but equal" thing, except in this case no one would actually be denied anything.

Some would even argue that we just legally start calling all marriages "Civil Unions". I'm personally all for that. Everyone would have the same rights, and everyone would still have the choice as to whether or not to have their union recognized in the church of their choice.

A gay couple getting married isn't anymore "damaging" to the institution than the 50% Divorce Rate is. What about the number of people who have marriages and divorces as if it's a hobby of theirs? Why in the world should a straight person who takes marriage lightly be more entitled to it than a gay person who has been with their partner for years and never married?

Gay couples should have IDENTICAL RIGHTS on a FEDERAL LEVEL. I don't think it should be a state-by-state issue, and I don't think a Civil Rights issue like Prop 8 should be left in the hands of voters.

The religious right will argue with me to the bone on that one, but even if the United States began legally allowing gay couples to get married, no one's rights are infringed on. That's the claim that bugs me the most.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone whose the same gender as you. If you don't want to call it a marriage, don't call it a marriage. And if you really think a gay marriage somehow lowers the value of your own marriage, perhaps the issue lies with your spouse and not with the gay community.

That's my two cents :-p

No. Catharis has the correct answer. People like to make it a civil rights issue, but it's really not. Prop 8 was about the legal definition of marriage. I personally oppose all federal efforts to redefine marriage as something other than between a man and a woman. It should be left up to the states. And it's not like it's a racial thing; it's a lifestyle. What about the rights of people who are religious and don't want to have to explain to their children that same sex marriage is natural and normal? I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but when they want to redefine what marriage is, I do take issue with that.

I do believe that marriage is a god given right.

Gay rights and gay marriage is a civil rights issue. I maintain this stance based on our constitution.

One can understand why i believe this simply by reading the constitution and the declaration of independence and the bill of rights of the United States.

• njb444

Yes. Legal marriage has nothing to do with the religious ceremony, it is a contract. Denying the right of any two people who want the legal benefits of marriage is discrimination. A legal marriage is really the same thing as a civil union, so why have different civil unions for different groups of people? Doesn't that sound like the "separate but equal" idea several decades ago?

Marriage isn't a right, per se, but equal protection of the laws is (14th Amendment.)

Having public drinking fountains isn't a right, either. But having "separate-but-equal" facilities and institutions violates the 14th Amendment of the constitution.

Personally, I feel that marriage should be a PURELY religious institution -- like baptism -- and that the government should have no say whatsoever in how religious organizations wish to administer those ceremonies. Also that the government should give no legal recognition to marriage -- again, like baptism.

I feel that the government should legally recognize only civil unions, and that they should be available to all consenting adults, regardless of race, creed, or gender.

In the broad scope of things it should not be but how this country and individual states have enacted rulings against it then at this point it certainly is....Marriage by two consenting adults is all that should matter. ONes gender/race/religion should not be an issue. Once we transgress one of the Ammendments of the Constitution in regards to a person or group of persons then we have made that issue a civil rights issue...The barring of gay Marriages is a transgression of the 14th ammendment even though it is not a subject matter ( gay marriages) that is specifically mentioned. It is a transgression in the borader sense and becasue of that then it becomes a civil rights issue to those affected...

To your second qeustion...Do you think marriage is a right.....I think the entire use/abuse of the word....right...is overused in our society. We all seem to think we have a right to this and a right to that and once we tag on a moniker like...I have a right ..Then we believe it is unconstitutional if we are denied access to that action...I do believe we have freedom of speech-that is a right- but it certainly is a classic example of one of our rights being trashed and overextended by certain parites in our society . It does should not igve us a right to go out in a public forum and beleager our fellow human beigns but for the most part we do and we are protected and allowed to do so.....This is how the ACLU came about and of course they have gone way overboard now inprotecting the citizenry's rights......In a free society individuals have been given access to the legitimacy of marriage . Does that make it a right? I guess so in one ay or another

• steffi

Absolutely. All we want is rights equal to everyone else's. Of course marriage is a basic civil right.

I think that almost all the issues are "choice" issues and I'm a Libertarian - I'm for choice on all the issues.

Everyone's a libertarian when it comes to his own choices.

But most people aren't when it comes to other people's choices that they don't like.

Most San Franciscans opposed Prop 8. But they were happy to ban trans-fats, plastic shopping bags and bottled water on government property.

The correct question is the second one.

There should not be any special kind other than one general kind of marriage. Marriages are a private matter between heterosexual or homosexual - marriages are just that - a union of two people that love each other.

No, it is not a civil rights issue. At issue is the word "marriage" and who can use it. It's a word which carries a legal connotation, so it's an issue.

Prop.8 did not actually "ban" anything. Read the text. At no place does it use the word "ban", it is not a ban.

Prop 8 is a protection of an already established legal definition. It is not a ban.