Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does the bible say it's okay to marry your cousin?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. Even the most restrictive rules in Leviticus do not rule out cousins. Here are some biblical references to incest:

Sarah: Half-sister of husband, Abraham. "She really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife." (Gen 20:12)

Milcah: Sister of Lot, married their uncle, Nahor. "The name of Nahor's wife was Milcah; she was the daughter of Haran, the father of both Milcah and Iscah." (Gen 11:29)

The names of Lot's daughters are not recorded in the Bible. Both had sexual relations with Lot, "so both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father." (Gen 19:36)

Amram: The father of Moses, he married his own aunt. "Amram married his father's sister Jochebed, who bore him Aaron and Moses." (Exod 6:20)

cousins are not included in the list of "close relatives" prohibited from sexual relations by Levitican law (Lev 18: 7-24). Marriages between cousins can be found both before and after Leviticus and therefore should probably not be considered "incest" from a biblical perspective. Isaac's marriage to his second cousin would be permitted in most jurisdictions under modern law.

Isaac: Abraham's son married his own second cousin, Rebekah. "Some time later Abraham was told, 'Milcah is also a mother; she has borne sons to your brother Nahor: Uz the firstborn, Buz his brother, Kemuel (the father of Aram), Kesed, Hazo, Pildash, Jidlaph and Bethuel.' Bethuel became the father of Rebekah." (Gen 22:20-23)

Esau: Married two of his first cousins (sisters, daughters of his father's brother.) "And Esau went to Ishmael and married Mahalath, the sister of Nebaioth and daughter of Ishmael son of Abraham, in addition to the wives he already had. (Gen 28:9) "Esau took his wives from the women of Canaan: Adah daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Oholibamah daughter of Anah and granddaughter of Zibeon the Hivite-- also Basemath daughter of Ishmael and sister of Nebaioth." (Gen 36:2-3)

Jacob: Married two of his first cousins, daughters of his mother's brother. "Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel… he took his daughter Leah and gave her to Jacob, and Jacob lay with her Jacob lay with Rachel also" (Gen 29:16-30)

Zelophehad's daughters married cousins: "So Zelophehad's daughters did as the Lord commanded Moses. Zelophehad's daughters ... married their cousins on their father's side." (Num 36: 10-11)

• 1 decade ago

i'm not sure cuz i'm a muslim but i honestly don't see why not.

not all cousins lived together a lot and became like brothers and sisters

and nothing is wrong with the children until it's repeated 3 or 4 times which is rare

and not any case but in the cases where it turns complicated where for exampel the wifes uncle (father's bro.) is the husbands uncle(mother's side )and her grand mother is the aunt of his mother...and trust me it does get more complicated

but 2 of my aunts marry their cousins and one of them had 3 great childern and the other has 4 and they all turned out well

• 1 decade ago

You have to remember that back in biblical times was very much different than today.

The human race had not evolved into having all the diseases and dna and there hadn't already been inner marriages that would cause the children of these unions to have birth defects.

Also back in those days a cousin could mean a distant cousin or a friend of a friend. As all were considered part of the 'family'.

Today in America it is against the law to marry your 1st cousin. So it is not ok.

Yes, there were a lot of terriable things that happened in bibical times, just as they are today. This does not mean that God condoned these acts then or does today.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it say,s somewhere about after the 4th cousin

you can marry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No,

once you marry the marriage is consummated through sexual realizations and the bible says,

Leviticus 18:6 (New International Version)

6 " 'No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the LORD.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not according to the Hebrew laws Moses recieved from Yahweh.

• 6 years ago

that's gross... if you have intercourse with your cousin... she is your close relative and the bible is against that.

• Sam
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Absolutely.

• 1 decade ago

depends on which cousin you are talking about?

first cousins no

• 1 decade ago

It says obey the laws of your country.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.