Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Bactrim for Urinary Tract Infection?

I went to the doctor on Thursday and he said it looks like I'm developing an UTI. He prescribed me Bactrim DS which I'm to take 2 tablets twice a day for 5 days. How effective is Bactrim against an UTI?

How long should it be before I notice the antibiotic starting to work? I'm on my 3rd day today. I still have symptoms so I was wondering if I could take Azo standard and help get rid of them? I've also been drinking water until the point I think I'm going to swim in it, I started drinking 12 oz of cranberry juice 2 nights ago, and I take cranberry pills.

• o
    Favorite Answer

Bactrim should be very effective for a UTI. The cranberry juice is also an excellent addition to your care, and I would suggest drinking more, including a large glass before bed, that way it will sit in your bladder for the longest period of time. If you are still experiencing symptoms after 48 hours of starting the antibiotic and in addition to these other measures, then you need to consult your Dr. again. More than likely they will tell you to give it another day, but I would think they would want to run another urinalysis to be certain your infection is decreasing. certainly if you are not improved by the end of the weekend then you should seek medical help and perhaps you need to switch antibiotics. If this is a pattern for you, you are going to have to be careful in the future to always urinate after sex and be certain to maintain good hydration. Chronic UTI's are more than just annoying, if untreated or not treated thoroughly they can cause even worse problems. For now, continue your antibiotics and increase your cranberry juice. If you should spike a fever, have increased pain or shaking chills then seek help through the ER as these are signs that the infection has traveled to your kidney. Otherwise, you should notice improvement by tomorrow. Good luck.

1

Source(s): Beat Kidney Desease http://teres.info/KidneyHealth

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) is a type of prescription antibiotic used to treat several infections, including urinary tract infections (UTIs). Bactrim works to treat infections such as these by interfering with the ability of bacteria to grow and multiply. You can get to know more here http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/drug-inform...

Urinary tract infections are a serious health problem affecting millions of people each year.

Infections of the urinary tract are the second most common type of infection in the body. Urinary tract infections (UTIs) account for about 8.3 million doctor visits each year.* Women are especially prone to UTIs for reasons that are not yet well understood. One woman in five develops a UTI during her lifetime. UTIs in men are not as common as in women but can be very serious when they do occur.

UTIs are treated with antibacterial drugs. The choice of drug and length of treatment depend on the patient's history and the urine tests that identify the offending bacteria. The sensitivity test is especially useful in helping the doctor select the most effective drug. The drugs most often used to treat routine, uncomplicated UTIs are trimethoprim (Trimpex), trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra, Cotrim), amoxicillin (Amoxil, Trimox, Wymox), nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin), and ampicillin (Omnipen, Polycillin, Principen, Totacillin). A class of drugs called quinolones includes four drugs approved in recent years for treating UTI. These drugs include ofloxacin (Floxin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), and trovafloxin (Trovan).

Often, a UTI can be cured with 1 or 2 days of treatment if the infection is not complicated by an obstruction or other disorder. Still, many doctors ask their patients to take antibiotics for a week or two to ensure that the infection has been cured. Single-dose treatment is not recommended for some groups of patients, for example, those who have delayed treatment or have signs of a kidney infection, patients with diabetes or structural abnormalities, or men who have prostate infections. Longer treatment is also needed by patients with infections caused by Mycoplasma or Chlamydia, which are usually treated with tetracycline, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ), or doxycycline. A followup urinalysis helps to confirm that the urinary tract is infection-free. It is important to take the full course of treatment because symptoms may disappear before the infection is fully cleared.

Severely ill patients with kidney infections may be hospitalized until they can take fluids and needed drugs on their own. Kidney infections generally require several weeks of antibiotic treatment. Researchers at the University of Washington found that 2-week therapy with TMP/SMZ was as effective as 6 weeks of treatment with the same drug in women with kidney infections that did not involve an obstruction or nervous system disorder. In such cases, kidney infections rarely lead to kidney damage or kidney failure unless they go untreated.

Various drugs are available to relieve the pain of a UTI. A heating pad may also help. Most doctors suggest that drinking plenty of water helps cleanse the urinary tract of bacteria. During treatment, it is best to avoid coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods. And one of the best things a smoker can do for his or her bladder is to quit smoking. Smoking is the major known cause of bladder cancer.

Good Luck

• cubit

Bactrim Antibiotic

Some infections most commonly treated with Bactrim include:

- Bronchitis (when long-lasting or increased in severity)

- Urinary tract infections

- Middle ear infections

- Traveler's diarrhea

- Intestinal inflammation

In most cases, adults being treated with Bactrim for bacterial infections will be prescribed one Bactrim DS (double strength) or two regular strength bactrim tablets. Children are normally prescribed one teaspoonful for every 22 pounds of body weight; dosing is usually twice daily for a period of five to fourteen days. The type and location of infection dictates the dosage amount and length.

Preventing Infections with Bactrim antibiotic may also be used to prevent bacterial infections in persons with weakened or compromised immune systems. Bactrim is a common defense used in transplant patients and patients with AIDS against Pneumocystis Carinii Pneumonia (PCP). Likewise, Bactrim may be used to treat PCP.

Normal dosing for the prevention of PCP in adults is one tablet daily for a period of 6-12 months. In children the dosage is determined by total body surface area, and the prescribed dose is taken twice daily for three consecutive days (not to exceed 320 milligrams trimethoprim and 1600 milligrams sulfamethoxazole daily).

While Taking a Bactrim Antibiotic it is recommended that the Bactrim antibiotic be taken with eight ounces of water, and that water is drunk periodically throughout the rest of the day to prevent uncomfortable side-effects. As with all antibiotics, the full course of the Bactrim prescription should be taken to completely clear the infection (or continue preventative protection). Bactrim works best when adequate levels of the drug are maintained, therefore, it is important to take a Bactrim antibiotic at prescribed intervals, and make every effort not to miss a dose; if a dose is missed, it should be taken when remembered, but double doses should never be taken as overdoses of bactrim antibiotics can be very serious.

http://www.good-pharmacy.com

http://www.jvspharmacy.com

http://www.healthy-pharmacy.com

If I am 5 hours late on my second dose of Bactrim for a UTI will it make the infection worse?

Bactrim is very effective. You'll start feeling better in about a day and a half.

Azo is very effective at treating the symptoms, but keep in mind that taking Azo at the first sign of UTI will likely result in a false negative when you get tested by your doctor and therefore no antibiotics (which you need). ONLY take Azo AFTER you have given your urine sample.

Source(s): Tens of UTIs since 2001!

Continue with Bactrim, and you can also take AZO to help with burning. AZO is not an antibiotic and doesn't get rid of the UTI, but it does help ease the symptoms of the UTI. Hope you feel better soon!

Source(s): RN

2

Source(s): Overcome Premature Ejaculation http://StopPrematureEjaculation.emuy.info/?fG64