Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

if i pled not guilty to a underage consumption charge that i dont agree with?

will the judge ask me why and will i get in more trouble or will he/she give a harsher sentence

Update:

what the hell are you talking about truth i just want to know will they put a harsher sentence if they find you guilt if you plead not guilty

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You could get in trouble for perjury, if that's what you mean.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

At your arraignment you will have to enter your plea all of you options will be explained to you. If you can't afford an attorney and you plead not guilty it is possible the judge will put you in jail until you make bail or request a public defender. At the arraignment it is like any business sales pitch if you make a decision right away you usually get to pay a little less on the first day. You should get to the court and ask the clerks what you can do.

• 1 decade ago

The prosecuting attorney might offer a plea bargain, that would be a reduced sentence, relative to what you would get if you plead "not guilty." If you're not offered a plea bargain, you would not get a reduced sentence either way, but you might have to pay court costs if a hearing is required. However, if you plead "not guilty," the judge may just toss the case. It's a gamble. You're innocent until proven guilty. If there is any evidence against you, it's best to accept any plea bargain that you're offered.

• Amy S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you enter a "not guilty" plea, then the matter will be set for a trial. If it goes to trial it could drag out for months and if you lose, you should know the fees are about twice the amount as non-trial cases, and the chances of you winning, given my experience, are pretty slim.

That said, if you ABSOLUTELY DID NOT consume, then pleading not guilty is well within your rights. If you just want to plead not guilty to make them prove their case, then please, don't waste everybody's time... it's not the crime of the century... really. Pay the fine or whatever... and move on. It's just not worth the hassle.

Source(s): 10 years as a probation officer.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In California 25658 B&P would be a minor consuming an alcoholic beverage. First off you know very well that you are not allowed to even have it in your possession (ref 25662 B&P)much less consuming it. The chances are you are not going to be able to prolong the outcome by making a plea of not guilty.

Just try taking your punishmet move along and try to do better next time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did you allow someone to consume alcohol while under age? It's a simple question. If you did (regardless of the reasons) then you are guilty.

Courts always prefer a guilty plea and are generally easier on people. If you are guilty and you go to trial, you are wasting their time and they will typically give a stiffer sentence.

• RE
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Of course the judge will ask you why. Chances are that the fact you don't agree with the charge will either be meaningless (since you are a lay person and are unfamiliar with the law) or irritating to the judge. Don't argue it on your own or you will lose, especially since you don't sound at all contrite. Get a lawyer.

• 1 decade ago

That is going to be pretty cut and dried. You are a minor obviously so you can't fight that. Either you consumed or you didn't. If they have proof that you did, pleading not guilty is not going to go good for you. If they can't prove it, then you have a chance.

• 1 decade ago

I always think, in court especially, you should tell the truth. If u take responsibility for ur actions, u will have a better outcome. Maybe not now, but in the long run.

• 1 decade ago

"the truth will set you free". Whatever happens you should just tell the truth. Lying can catch up with you and get you in more trouble in the long run.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.