Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Homeschool vs. Public School?

Ok I have been homeschooled the past 2 years, next year I will be a freshman in highschool and I have to decide between homeschool or a local public school. I have experienced both and I like both. Any comments.??

Best Answer

It just depends what your high school goals are. Do you want to spend the years being social or do you wanna focus on your studies?

Personally I see nothing wrong with home schooling. Focus on the subjects you enjoy and get ahead. Dual enroll in college at 16. I've done private, public, and home schooling and I find home schooling is the best for focusing on your studies. You also can get into a lot more programs you would enjoy if you are home schooled. Want to be an exchange student? There is no competition from others in your grade... want to learn a language? When you are home schooled you can choose from almost any of them... you aren't limited to the 3 your district chooses... I think its great.

It's not like you can't go to parties with your home schooled friends. It's not like you need to be in a place where bomb and gun threats happen every year.

I think it all depends on the public school that you are thinking of going in. I was in public school for the first 10 years, and then when I had the chance to go into homeschool...I couldn't wait. Cause the public school I was in was just terrible. At least a nasty bloody fight every day, one day I watched a teacher and a student rolling down the steps fighting. Anyway, if the Public school is good with a lot to offer you, then go for it. But if you think in any way that it might drag you down and cause you to do bad on grades, or cause you to lose respect for yourself then stay at home.

I've known people who were homeschooled. I know one kid who was homeschooled his whole life until freshmen year and then went to public school. He was up to date on material but very behind socially. I think you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you spent your highschool years at home. Highschool may not always be fun but the experience is a rewarding one, you'll make friends, and it will better prepare you for college (if you're going).

I think kids need to be in public school for the social benefits. Also there are so many activities that colleges look at when applying that you can do that you really can't do when you are home schooled like band, ROTC, student council, etc. . .

Are you permitted to work at your own pace? If I had the choice, was permitted...I'd choose home-school. Public school setting is an artificial environment(same age setting) anyways. That way I could graduate early.

I've been to a public school but they suck....most kids are rude and if you are not what they like they will bully you so much.

i hated high school, i was home school part of my freshman and all sophomore year, then i went back to public school junior year and now am back in home school senior year.

I was home school until my freshman year and it worked really well because the school has Equipment you don't have when you home school.

Public. It's a true high school experience.

i have never been home schooled, but i can't imagine. if i was you, i would pick public school every time.