Does anyone know if the people on shows like "Judge Judy" or "Judge Joe Brown" have to actually pay the fines?

Or do the people who lose actually have their fees payed by the show? I just wondered because I can't actually understand why some of these people who air their stupid, dirty laundry on national television.

Favorite Answer

the show pays the fines:

The award limit on Judge Judy, as on most 'syndi-court' shows (and most small claims courts in U.S.), is $5,000. The award for each judgment is paid by the producers of the show, from a fund reserved for each case. About forty percent of the cases are money judgments, while sixty percent are dismissed.[15]

Both the plaintiff and the defendant receive $100 for their appearance as well as $35 a day, paid to them by the show. The litigants' stay lasts for the number of days that the show does taping for that week, which is two or three days.[16][17] In addition, the travel and hotel expenses of the litigants and their witnesses are covered by the show.

Source(s): wiki

There are a few things to keep in mind. First, those shows are really "arbitrations." An arbitration is a private legal proceeding in which the parties agree to let someone else make the decision and that decision is binding. Parties, often big companies, arbitrate all the time, but the arbitrations take place in conference rooms and not in make-believe court rooms. Still, the disputes are real and Judge Judy's decision is binding.

Second, the parties get paid. As someone said, they don't get paid a lot, but they do get paid.

Third, yes, when Judge Judy says that the plaintiff wins and the defendant has to pay, the defendant actually does have to pay. If what he has to pay is less than what he gets paid for being on the show, then the show probably deducts it and pays it to the plaintiff. If it's more, the plaintiff still has to collect. That can be hard.

• topink

I remember reading that the participants were paid from a fund by the show, so when they act all mad it might be just an act. I'll guess the show pays their airfare and hotel, some expenses, and I'm not 100% sure about how much the show pays instead of the defendant.

LOL!!! are you kiddin?? They go onto the show to escape having to PAY..thats what the whole agreement is about.

In exchange for that, the show can air whatever and however many times they want without giving them any compensation or fees. How do you think stations like ABC< CBS and NBC get ahead?? Why do you think they have so many shows like these???

Source(s): My neighbor went on the Sally Jesse Rapheal joe and told all about her husbands affair, and about lost her house, her daughter, car, everything over it!! He was so furious, even though she was in "disguise" my other neighor calle dme...lol

Hmm. I've often wondered how those shows work and for the same reason. Most small claims court rulings have no component for making the loser pay up...

yes they have to pay fines and fyi they get paid $250 for doing the show

they get a few hundred for doing the show, its still a legal proceeding, they have to pay there money if they lose