Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Now my interest is aroused. For what specific reasons did/do the Jews not recognise Jesus as the Messiah?

I would like to hear answers from those of the Jewish faith in particular.

Favorite Answer

Judaism has always been clear on its idea of 'maschiach'. The Jewish messiah is just an ordinary Jewish man, he is not 'divine' and he has no 'supernatural' powers; he won't be walking on water or performing miracles. Rather, he will epitomise the best in honour and integrity. And to even qualify as the maschiach, he must fulfill all the Jewish messianic prophecies. Every single one. And he must do it *before* he dies. There is no 'second coming' for the Jewish Maschiach.

Christianity, meanwhile, says something very different. Jesus is portrayed as a part divine 'son of god' who died in order to carry the sins of the rest of mankind. He is 'god incarnate', part of the 'trinity' and, according to many Christians, it is only by accepting Christ that any human can connect with G-d and reach 'heaven'.

Thus we have, effectively, two entirely different messiahs.

And neither religion is going to change its view. Jesus can never be the Jewish messiah: he didn't fulfill any of the Jewish messianic prophecies before he died. And Jesus will always be the Christian messiah; the entire religion is predicated upon his being precisely that.

What, then, are the Jewish messianic prophecies? They are as follows, and it is empirical *fact* that nobody has yet fulfilled them:

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

*The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

*Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot.

*He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

*Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10) .

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

*The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)*

*All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

answer: because if the NT is true then he could NOT have been the foretold messiah.

Divine, virgin birth, performing miracles, taking on the sins of others, being a sacrifice, rising from the dead = all of that is against what G-d taught the Jews to watch for in their Messiah.

Jesus fulfilled none of the 23 prophecies - especially the one about world peace.

The Jewish Messiah will be human, he won't perform miracles - what he accomplishes will be miraculous, he will accomplish it all in one life time, he will NOT be worshiped

Jesus was perfect for the Gentile pagans - they would expect a divine/risen savior deity. The Jews did not and do not.

* The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

*****In other words - this must all be accomplished in a human lifetime*****

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

Thanks to Mark S and Plushy Bear

Not Jewish, but as I understand it, they have their set of messianic prophecies (as well as others) while the Christians have a different set. Perhaps looking at Islam will help, they read the scripture as pointing to Muhammad... The point here is that the scripture does not make it clear (regardless of what people believe) what is prophecy and what is not.

Edit:

Yet another "kink" is that there are sects that believe that John the Baptist was the messiah. This is not to mention the other messiahs around Jesus' time that claimed to fulfill the various prophecies.

“The word "moshiach" does not mean "savior." The notion of an innocent, divine or semi-divine being who will sacrifice himself to save us from the consequences of our own sins is a purely Christian concept that has no basis in Jewish thought.

“The moshiach will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The moshiach is often referred to as "moshiach ben David" (moshiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments. (Isaiah 11:2-5) He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being………….

The moshiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).”

The world after the messiah comes is often referred to in Jewish literature as Olam Ha-Ba (oh-LAHM hah-BAH), the World to Come. This term can cause some confusion, because it is also used to refer to a spiritual afterlife. In English, we commonly use the term "messianic age" to refer specifically to the time of the messiah.

Olam Ha-Ba will be characterized by the peaceful co-existence of all people. (Isaiah 2:4) Hatred, intolerance and war will cease to exist. Some authorities suggest that the laws of nature will change, so that predatory beasts will no longer seek prey and agriculture will bring forth supernatural abundance (Isaiah 11:6-11:9). Others, however, say that these statements are merely an allegory for peace and prosperity.

All of the Jewish people will return from their exile among the nations to their home in Israel (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). The law of the Jubilee will be reinstated.

In the Olam Ha-Ba, the whole world will recognize the Jewish G-d as the only true G-d, and the Jewish religion as the only true religion (Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9). There will be no murder, robbery, competition or jealousy. There will be no sin (Zephaniah 3:13). Sacrifices will continue to be brought in the Temple, but these will be limited to thanksgiving offerings, because there will be no further need for expiatory offerings.”

I'm going to be interested to see which explanation you choose as best answer. You asked for answers from people who are Jewish; you received those answers. You also received answers from Christians who think that they can answer for Jews. If someone asked a question about something in Christianity, would you accept an answer from Jews as the truth?

I am not Jewish, but the only Messianic description of a saviour in the old testament, is of the suffering servant/messenger, and of the high priest Melchizedek from Salem, having no genealogy or ancestors.

The jesus christ who was perfect, and could walk on water, is not the Messiahs of the old testament.

• dlc

The "new testament" writings portray the Messiah as God, King, like Moses, a Prophet and is rejected by the people,

Just some parallels to ponder from the Hebrew Testament:

> YHVH, God of Israel our Creator, is rejected by the people as their King:

1 Sam 8:7 And the LORD (YHVH) said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them.

> They wanted to kill Moses:

Exo 17:4 So Moses cried out to the LORD, saying, "What shall I do to this people? A little more and they will stone me."

> Moses wanted to make atonement for the people:

Exo 32:30 And it came about on the next day that Moses said to the people, "You yourselves have committed a great sin; and now I am going up to the LORD, perhaps I can make atonement for your sin."

> Moses offered his life for the sin of the people:

Exo 32:32 "But now, if Thou wilt, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Thy book which Thou hast written!"

> The people rejected the message YHVH gave to the Prophet Jeremiah and wanted to kill him:

Jer 26:8 And when Jeremiah finished speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak to all the people, the priests and the prophets and all the people seized him, saying, "You must die!

IF "Jesus" of the NT is the Messiah then history was simply repeated and He was rejected. If not, we will just have to wait and find out.

Though there is one prophecy of the NT that came true regarding His recognition, the destruction of the Temple in 70AD.

Luke 19:43 "For the days shall come upon you when your enemies will throw up a bank before you, and surround you, and hem you in on every side,

Luke 19:44 and will level you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not recognize the time of your visitation."

As for being God, I believe the Messiah will be given the name of YHVH translated as Lord (Breaking the 3rd commandment) in English. A righteous Branch of David to Be called YHVH is a powerful statement of who He is.

Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, [THE] LORD (YHVH) OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

As for delivering His people into a covenant of peace within His lifetime, YHVH is the One who saves. What is the life span of YHVH but eternity.

He is a Just God and first calls His people to repentance as in the Spirit of Elijah. He is a patient God giving mankind 2000 years to repent to the written Torah (Law). Then comes a second time to execute His judgement and gather His people from the ends of the earth.

Isa 11:11 Then it will happen on that day that the Lord Will again recover the second time with His hand The remnant of His people, who will remain, From Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, And from the islands of the sea.

Isa 11:12 And He will lift up a standard for the nations, And will assemble the banished ones of Israel, And will gather the dispersed of Judah From the four corners of the earth.

Then those faithful to YHVH and His Torah will say:

Isa 12:2 "Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For YHVH Elohim is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation."

He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty boy.

Probably for the same reason Atheists and other non-Christians don't believe that Jesus was divine.

No one can recognise Him without revelation.

He himself attested.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

Even John the Baptist sent to identify and announce Christ did not know except by revelation,

And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Obviously that puts you and them out of your depth.

The Jews think that they are superior and have some special monopoly on God, they did then and do now. They get very touchy when that is challenged. Why do you think they slew Him?

Their denial of Him at the same time casts away the whole Gentile world. How hard is that then?

But God is no respecter of persons and will draw near to any who seek Him for He has made it possible through Christ.