Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is it illegal for the US Post Office to withhold mail without prior notice?

The local Post Office and I have been butting heads lately.. recently, we've had a different postal carrier, no joke, every day. This results in our mail being delivered at all hours of the day, which would be fine, except my dog had a remote collar. This resulted in the postal worker of the day being frightened because my dog barked at her as she was approaching the house. My dog is a terrier mix of medium build, and loves everyone. Regardless of my dog's temperament, I introduced the two and reassured the worker that everything was fine. I then got a letter in the mail from the post office's customer relations manager saying I should keep my dog indoors or tied up. I responded with a letter back (since she did not leave ANY contact info) saying she could come clean my house when the dog relieved itself from being indoors all day, and that I wasn't about to tie her up and get sent to jail for animal abuse (I live in AZ, it's way to hot to tie up an animal outside all day, shade and water aside, IMO) I alternatively gave her the option of giving me a time frame of about an hour in which to keep my dog inside and I would happily comply. Also, I mentioned the incompetence of her employees, being that I CONSTANTLY have to retrieve my mail from the street over because her carriers can't read a simple address, and I also mentioned that our previous carrier before they started playing musical carriers would read a little list I had above our mailbox stating the names of all who live here, and wouldn't deliver the countless letters for previous owners of our house. Now I just write return to sender, no such person on them all and create even more work for the Post Office. Whatever they want.. Anyway, I got no response, therefore, I did nothing either. I then got a second letter, exactly the same as the first, but this time it had contact info. Neither of these letters mentioned withholding mail at all. I called and left much the same message on her machine and a phone number. No response. After that, the mail just stopped coming. I've gotten a couple letters one day out of the last 4 or 5 months. I just want to know before I go confront this broad what my rights are. Is withholding mail without notice illegal? Can I get her fired? Because really, that would be great...

Favorite Answer

They don't have to deliver to somewhere they don't feel is safe.

Lots of mail carriers get bitten by dogs and its much easier to avoid all dogs roaming free than figure out which are nice and which are mean.

If you live somewhere that it snows and you don't shovel then they also may not deliver until you do.

They are not withholding your mail...they are refusing to deliver it to an unsafe place. I do not know of any mail carriers who will deliver mail to an address with an unsupervised dog and no they cannot give you a time they will deliver the mail that depends on how much mail they have to deliver that day.If you don't want to comply you can always pick your mail up at the post office or even better get a PO box.

Can they tell you that you have to wait 14 days to get your mail at the post office if they refuse to deliver to your home because of your dogs.

i am VERY surprised LEGALLY your dog is allowed to go free; before you go talk to her you may want to check to ensure your city doesn't have a leash law.. the only places i know of without them would be on rural routes.. on a rural route the rules for delivery are VERY different from a city route...

but the bottom line is YES they can refuse to deliver to an address because of animals that make delivery dangerous or threatening.. they could even conceivably refuse delivery to your neighbors because of your dog which would probably make you pretty unpopular.. since then your neighbors would have to go to the post office to get their mail.

one thing you have to remember about dogs is that although your dog is VERY friendly when you are there.. he/she will act VERY differently when you are NOT there... because the dog will believe they are defending pack territory.

You have been given notice. They indicate that the dog needs to be fenced in, tied up or inside for them to deliver.