Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

How do Fondant cakes taste?

I am planning my wedding for 08-29-10 and im just getting ideas. I like the look of fondant cakes. Also, I am looking to spend 600 or less for my wedding cake, would I be able to get a good 4 tier fondant cake for that much.

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/White%20and%20sag...

I like this style, but I would rather have no flowers and a navy blue ribbon instead.

Do you think I could pull that off in my budget?

Favorite Answer

As a former cake decorator, I would skip fondant. It's more expensive, and the experience of your decorator, and the servings in the cake will determine the price. Fondant isn't flavored by itself, it's like sugar dough, and it tastes horrible if you don't add any almond, peppermint, or vanilla flavoring to it. It looks beautiful, but it's messy, and not worth the extra money. You will be paying for stuff that people will be peeling off of the cake. If you are dead set on having fondant, prepare to pay a higher price. You can get a fondant cake for $600. but it will not be as good of quality as that picture I can guarantee you that. Butter cream is definitely the way to go. $600 on a butter cream cake will give you superb detail, and it won't have you wasting money!

How To Fondant A Cake

I actually like the way fondant tastes, it's very sugary and yet plain at the same time. Most cakes will run $3 and up per slice, so it will depend on the number of guests you are having as to the cost.

My husband made our wedding cake, it was 5 tiers with chocolate mousse flavor inside, and scalloped buttercream on the outside with handmade fondant blush roses, ivy and grapes. He said a cake like that would've cost easily $800 or more so best thing for you to do is check out a few bakeries, and get some ideas.

Just found this cake picture online and thought you might really like it - except just picture a navy blue ribbon instead of the beige!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetmaker/2108540647...

Source(s): Husband is a pastry chef

As for the taste, I got an education on fondant when I went for my tasting as I had heard horror stories about the taste and the baker I was interested in only works with fondant.

Well, I learned that there are several makers of fondant and each one tastes differently. I was assured that the baker I was interested in wouldn't switch fondant suppliers and the fondant they use tasted good. It was like a very sweet marshmallow. I realize some people may not like things that sweet, but it wasn't nasty and it wasn't like eating play-doh as I had been told it would be.

My suggestion is to make sure you taste your bakery's fondant to ensure it isn't one of the nasty-tasting kinds. If it is gross, skip the fondant.

As for pricing & your budget, that really depends upon your bakery. I had $400 - $500 quotes for a 3-tier cake so $600 on 4 tiers isn't impossible. But other bakers charge lots more.

Some people don't like the taste of fondant - clearly - but it doesn't bother me. It is sugary and sweet but not unpleasant in my opinion. It's also easy to take off the cake so if a guest doesn't like it, he or she can easily peel it off and just eat the inside if they so choose.

$600 for a 4 tier cake in most locations is very tight, especially if you want detail in your cake, but I'm sure there is a place out there that will do it. Do your homework, call as many local bakeries as you can and get their pricing and arrange for tastings. Also, consider getting a wedding coordinator - many times we have contacts that can get you discounts or will do more work for less money to preserve the relationship the vendor has with the coordinator.

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a wedding planner

I personally (and everyone I have talked to) think fondant tastes terrible. It's really just for a smooth look.

I also used ribbon on my wedding cake and had no flowers- it was awesome. Our wedding was 8-8-08, our colors were a pretty sunny happy-looking yellow and white.

Our cake was 5 huge square shaped tiers (we had 300 guests plus the wedding party!). We had very well-smoothed buttercream icing done to LOOK like fondant. The bottom tier had vertical yellow stripes on a white background. The second layer was set on the diagonal to the first and was yellow with big white circles of varying sizes (they looked like bubbles). the third layer was white with a spiral design in yellow, then the bottom two repeated again- the stripes and the "bubbles".

To make the cake interesting, I chose a shape other than traditional round, then "twisted" just one layer for added interest. Then I alternated the frosting colors. The ribbon was just around the bases of each layer. I could have had her do a piped icing border, but I thought that would look too wedding cake-y and traditional. The general effect was that of a stack of gifts. As I type this out it sounds really complicated and busy, but it actually was very simple. I kept the look clean by making the designs (stripes, dots, and swirls) large and not too many of them on each layer, and by only using two colors.

Everyone commented on how cool and unexpected our cake was. Just some ideas for you to consider :) HTH.

Everyone that I've spoken to and most of the people here on Y/A seem to dislike the taste of fondant. I much prefer buttercream myself. But fondant does have a smoother finish, so it just depends on if you're going more for taste or for looks.

Fondant is also very easy to peel off, so if people don't like it they really don't have to eat it; however that will be a waste of money for you, especially since fondant tends to be more expensive than buttercream. But if you're having an outdoor summer wedding fondant is the way to go, since buttercream melts.

That's a very nice cake. You should be able to get it for 600 or less, especially if you're taking off the flowers, but you'll probably have to shop around a bit to find someone who doesn't charge outrageous amounts.

Good luck!

They really don't taste good at all. Elegance is the main reason for using it. However, there is a marshmallow fondant out there. If you can find a bakery to use that, it tastes so much better. Other than that you really have to ask each bakery how much they charge. And make sure to bring or email the picture to them so they will know exactly what your looking for. It's possible to get it for under $600. My cake has ten times more to it and is only $295 to serve 75 people.

Yes, you could pull it off but it depends on what you want for you cake. Fondant does not taste good but all the pretty cakes are in fondant now so if you want a stylish cake go with fondant. I you want a good tasting cake you will not get fondant on it

• Betty

Since your budget is limited, and most people don't prefer fondant, why don't you have a smaller 'show' cake made w/ fondant in the style you like and then purchase sheet cakes from your baker to serve guests. Venues will usually keep them in the back, cut and serve them.

Best of luck!