sarah asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Can dental infection lead to swollen upper lip?

My left upper lip..(not the lip..but the skin above the lip and under the nose) is swollen. The area is slightly red and looks like a raised bump and burns a lot. A week later the gum near the upper tooth (same area) started to hurt and swell and was told that I have a dental infection. Could the 2 be related (raised bump and gum infection)

Favorite Answer

Yes, certainly

1

Source(s): Toothache Remedies http:/teres.info/ToothPainRelief
  • gorgo

Swollen Lip Infection

• monte

Swollen Upper Lip

Yes you have an infection but, it is not known that it is dental or not what you do need to know is there is a infection in your mouth and it is called an absess. you will need 1 of 3 things check up at hospital on it or go to energency dental place/ then you will be given keflex its a mouth antibiotic

and or you can just chill at home and go buy garlic pills 1200 mg take about 3 each day and no you wont smell like garlic// and you wont ever get a infection in your mouth or anywhere else for years. honest!!!

and oh, yeah wait your absess will eventually bust and oh my goodnes it smells and its gray yellow and green puss that oozes out with some blood. take care

Dental infection can lead to far worse namely death. There is no blood flow closer to the brain than the mouth.

If you still have that infection go to the Doctor immediately, many people have died even after getting a tooth pulled and having an infection form in the area.

• Edgar

dental infection lead swollen upper lip

As a nurse I have seen dental abscesses that have infected the whole face. Its not something to play with. Yes it could be related. Dental infections can cause you to even get endocarditis if the infection gets in the blood stream. One guy had a hole in his face from an abscess and had to have surgery to get it cleaned out.

• The bump above your lip under your nose could be a pimple. For the dental problem you need to see a dentist. Infections needed to be treated immediately. Ask your dentist he will tell you if the pimple or bump above your lip is related to the gum infection. There is a possibility it could be but I'm not a dentist.

Go get a antibiotic ASAP! You can't just live with this infection. Your right to be scared because it can essentially spread to various places. Maybe not even your brain but your throat, stomach, anywhere! Of course the brain would be the worst though. Go get antibiotics. Going into financial burden is better than risking your life expectancy.

I don't really think that they would be related. I'm curious maybe you felt the knot coming up under your lip and didn't realize it really and maybe were touching or rubbing it and caused a sort of acne.

I have never seen dental abscess on the outer lip.

One way to gauge it would be that an abscess is usually extremely painful and if you didn't have that horrible pain it likely was acne.