What are your thoughts on apocalyptic predictions of the year 2012?

What are your thoughts on predictions of the year 2012 and what it means for the future of the human race? Before I start rambling I want to bring up some of the different speculations about 2012. One of the main speculations involves the ancient Mayan "Long Count" Calendar. This calendar was made to... show more What are your thoughts on predictions of the year 2012 and what it means for the future of the human race? Before I start rambling I want to bring up some of the different speculations about 2012.

One of the main speculations involves the ancient Mayan "Long Count" Calendar. This calendar was made to represent the days passed since the Mayan era, and seems to end on the day December 21, 2012. Many people think that the calendar ends on this day because it will be the last day known to the human race.

Another major speculation is the I Ching. The I Ching was a book that was used to predict personal fortunes in ancient times. Three coins would be tossed six times. If tails came up the majority of the time, a solid line would be drawn, if mostly heads came up, a broken line would be drawn. This would be done 64 times to complete 64 hexagrams. While the I Ching gave very vague answers to personal questions, another shocking discovery was made about the I Ching by Terrence Mckenna. Mckenna graphed the change in each hexagram and plotted it on a time graph starting from the beginning of the I Ching. Upon doing this, he found that his graph ended on December 21, 2012.

A third speculation involving 2012 is the Web Bot Project. The Web Bot Project is a bot that searches the web and picks out key words or phrases on the Internet and takes a screenshot of them. These screenshots were primarily used as a way to pick stocks. However, it is now used to make predictions about the future. This bot predicted a major event happening just before the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001. Additionally, this bot has predicted something major happening in 2012.

I have my own very simple opinions on each of these matters. I won't spend too much time expressing my opinions, however i will say that I disagree with the apocalyptic predictions of 2012. Here are some of my thoughts and questions regarding the topic.

If the Mayans believed that the world was going to end in the year 2012, why did they come up with names for lengths of amounting to more than 63 million years, such as the alautun? While this could have been used to refer to the past, it was probably made to refer to the future. Also,just because this particular calendar ended on that day, how does that correlate to the end of the world? How is it any different than one of our annual calendars ending, besides the length of time it expresses?

I fail to understand the I Ching graph over time completely. How did Terrence Mckenna go about picking an X Axis Scale for his graph. In other words, why did he choose the amount of time each change in hexagram represented that he did? Couldn't such a graph be made over any period of time that would end on the exact day you wanted to? Seems a bit fishy to me.....

Lastly, the Web Bot Project. With all of the discussion about 2012 on the Internet, of course it is going to predict 2012 as the end of the world . Even as i type this, or submit it anyway, this bot is taking a screenshot of nearly my whole post! Think about all of the times 2012 is mentioned on the Internet. It is no wonder why the bot picked this year.

Now it's your turn. Tell me how you feel about the predictions of 2012, and please try to support your answers to the best of your ability. Feel free to mention whether you disagree or agree with the predictions, and anything else you have to add. Also feel free to correct me on any mistakes that I made. Thanks!