can a 17 year old get a tattoo if the parent signs for it in augusta, ga?

i really want one and my mom wants me to get one too. but i'm not sure if i can get one where i live. even if she signs for it. i'm only seventeen. anybody know the laws?

Favorite Answer

TITLE 16 CRIMES AND OFFENSES

CHAPTER 5 CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON

ARTICLE 5 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN

16-5-71. Tattooing.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo the body of any person under the age of 18, except that a physician or osteopath licensed under Chapter 34 of Title 43, or a technician acting under the direct supervision of such licensed physician or osteopath, and in compliance with Chapter 9 of Title 31 shall be authorized to mark or color the skin of any person under the age of 18 by pricking in coloring matter or by producing scars for medical or cosmetic purposes.

(b) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HERE'S the exact law in Georgia. Good luck hope you don't have to wait too long!

• ~Les~

Odds are no, five or less states allow parental consent for tattoos and any artist worth the price will NOT tattoo a minor, legal or not. They don't want to mess with the third party thing. I suggest you wait the one year or less depending on when your birthday is, and ask instead to have your mom help you pay for it or all of it if it's small. It's not that long to wait and part of the "thrill" of being 18 should be that you can do whatever you want as far as tattoos and piercings go. It's not a ridiculous law, this prevents many teens who would get tattoos of dumb things like the current boyfriends name from doing it since they can't and don't feel like breaking a law with serious side effects. Wait it out, it's worth the patients! Call shops in your area and ask them what the law is. A good shop will tell you the truth and leave it at that, if any place even offers to do it stay clear of them ... that's fishy and nothing to get near.

Source(s): had to wait till 18 to get my tattoos
  • Noell

17 year tattoo parent signs augusta ga

You are legally allowed to get one with a parent, but any tattoo artist can deny you your tattoo for any reason, so don't get all pissed off if they say no. It's their right, and besides, it's not like you have all that long to wait until you're 18.

If no tattoo artist will do it for you, just ask your mom to get it for your 18th birthday.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up, and it is apparently a misdemeanor, no matter what, so go with the birthday present idea.

Actually unless the law has changed and tattoojoy hasn't updated it yet no you can't get a tattoo in GA if you are under the age of 18

http://tattoojoy.com/tattoo_laws/united_states,geo...

You might call and see if this is incorrect but it does state that it is a misdemeanor to do so.

Tattooing a minor in Georgia is prohibited by law.

Florida a minor is 16 and under.....

Might want to research the artist there....

There is parental consent in Louisiana.

Yes you can "legally" you don't need a birth certificate just your i.d. & your mom will need her i.d. to prove she's your legal guardian.

Although I will say you will not find a good reputable tattoo parlor that will actually do it. Even though it's legal 98% of places won't do it.

[ I live in georgia & I am familiar with the parlors around augusta. ]

Just wait. You will see it's worth the wait. If you find a place that will please make sure you check their work out. Make sure their clean.

I'm 17 too and waiting upon parents approval. I wondered if they would let you, 18 or not, with a parents signature. I wouldn't see why not. They probably do... I live in Kansas and it doesn't say anything but "If you are 18 you need your parents to sign here ________ " etc. So I'm guessing it's probably legal there, too. Anyway, good luck. I'm in the same boat!

yes, as long as you bring a birth certificate and your mom has to be there

edit--

so apparently GA has this riduculous law i wasn't aware of. but here in ohio you must have whats listed above SO i guess just wait or go out of state for one.

Yes your mom can sign for it..I think thats anywhere :)