Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Can't liberals see the dangers of multiculturalism?

Liberals claim that multiculturalism supports all beliefs, but in reality, it is out to suppress religious beliefs and support things such as gay marriage.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

As each day goes by, I can't help but think that the "Multiculturalism movement" is having the EXACT OPPOSITE EFFECT! It seems that the elevation of specific, individual groups results in separatist division.

Example: (Reader, this is NOT a racial issue, alone) - National Association for the ADVANCEMENT of COLORED PEOPLE; The League of UNITED LATIN AMERICAN CITIZENS; The ARYAN NATION;

The JEWISH DEFENSE LEAGUE; The SOUTHERN BAPTIST Convention; League of CATHOLIC Voters; The Evangelical LUTHERAN CHURCH OF AMERICA;

Moral of this story: The MORE WE FOCUS ON INDIVIDUAL GROUPS, THE MORE WE SEGREGATE & DIVIDE! WHY CAN'T WE JUST BE AMERICANS?

Source(s): Fact and opinion...... "the prudent student will look it up!"
  • 1 decade ago

No because most don't really understand what it means. Multiculturalism is chipping away a what little unity our nation has left. It has allowed the uneducated and poor to become the fastest growing segment of our population. It has created endless programs and funding to promote using different languages in a country whose real language is english. It has invented labels such as "racist" and "xenophobe" for people that do not agree with it's concepts. When my parents got off the boat at Ellis Island in New York, they knew that they had to acclimate to the United States of America's culture as a nation which included speaking it's language of english. The Italian heritage was kept at home in private. This concept that we call "multiculturalism" will be the downfall of our country. It is already happening in the name of progress. We are no longer a melting pot but a salad bowl in serious trouble. The unity is gone.

Source(s): the answers here are evidence of my point.
  • 3 years ago

Multiculturalism is a party of our alterations. i think of you ought to study the definition extra heavily. What you're describing is the entire "melting pot" appropriate of the USA traditionally that's precisely the different of multiculturalism. once you advise that we have got fun our alterations and not mixture into one monolithic society you're advocating multiculturalism.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If they want to see the dangers of multiculturalism they only need to look at the failure of British multiculturalism to integrate minorities properly. It's only three years ago that British born people blew themselves up on public transport in London. The idea that all belief systems are equal is not progressive. It is a betrayal of western culture and a step backwards into pre-enlightenment ideas.

Source(s): Remodernist.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

all multiculturalism is good. I guarantee you their are many immigrants who aren't liberal. Now thanks to multi culturalism, we eat their food, we buy their things. It helps the economy. Their needs to be a balance how ever. Right now, the spanish/mexican culture has been so mixed in that in some places on the west coast you can't even communicate without knowing spanish. Immigrants should learn our language, but don't stop them from immigrating, they should do it legally tho.

• 1 decade ago

Can't you see the difference between suppressing someone's religious beliefs and preventing them from imposing those beliefs on others?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THat makes no sense. Multiculturalism means that you respect cultures it does not mean you throw morality out the window. Gay Marriage is a simple right that straight people have that gay people want. I think they deserve the same rights as us, because they are our brothers and sisters and children.

• 1 decade ago

I think your question is based on a false premise. Liberalism does not suppress religious beliefs. that may be your opinion, but it is not fact.

• DT
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

"Liberalism" is, by definition, permissive, as the word is derived from the Latin "liber" meaning free. Anyone who seeks to suppress beliefs is therefore not a liberal, QED.

Your premise is thus utterly flawed.

• 1 decade ago

Gay marriage doesn't suppress religious beliefs. Religious beliefs suppress gay marriage.

Gays being able to marry wouldn't stop you from practicing your faith, only from forcing it on others.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.