Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

for those christians that can't stand any profanity, with all these swearing in the movies, do you go to movie?

theaters at all? what kind of movie do you watch?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I know what you mean. Bad movies seem to use swearing and nudity in an attempt to draw an audience. I've noticed the more boring the plot - the more swearing and sleaze. Sex and potty humor sells. All that to say I try to be selective of what goes into my head.

I personally don't swear at all and none of my immediate family does. Most of the time that I go to the theater, I go with my kids, so they are rated G. Admittedly, some are as boring as watching grass grow. I like Pixar movies quite a bit though.

I rent movies PG or under. Sometimes PG-13. I look up how bad it is and why it got the rating before I go.

I'm also a huge Cary Grant fan. The movies may be old as dirt and black and white, but he has some great stuff! I laughed through the whole movie of "His Girl Friday". They should re-make those movies.

Well, in general I stopped going to theaters near as often as I once did. I do alot of my movie watching at home (yay Netflix!)

However, that aside (being unrelated), there are plenty of Christian movies - enough for me not to have an excuse. True, they don't typically make it to theaters, but they are all on Netflix, and MANY of them are even free to watch online.

Outside of Christian movies (the obvious comfort zone), the types of things my wife and I have seen together that are generally safe are:

1) comic book movies - except for the obviously "darker" ones

2) kids movies (Dreamworks and stuff like that)

Most popular actions movies are clear of all but a few words. (it's gotten much worse since the 80's though).

Sometimes, you can judge by actor, but not always. I've never seen a bad Jackie Chan movie, but for every decent Denzel movie I've seen are ones that are profane. Adam Sandler movies used to be decent, but in recent years he's fallen more off my radar.

The best way to judge, IMO, is discerning through movie trailers what kind of audience thet movie is targeting, and go from there...

Just a mammel. I watch very little TV if any at all and I very rarely go to the movies. I only watch Christian based movies. When I was younger I use to watch quite a bit of TV and go to the movies more often but as time has gone on there is far to much garbage on TV and the movies for me to watch them . The thing that gets me is that statistics and history have clearly shown that clean family oriented movies and TV programs do much better rating wise and financially than do trashy movies and TV programing .

If the language is bad enough we will turn it off. We don't go to theaters either - way too expensive and they won't pause it for you if you need a break.

I don't like swearing. I don't swear myself (although when I get mad enough I think in swear words some days, which is just as bad!). But I'm way more offended about immorality and vulgarity in movies. Swearing's bad enough but I will not sit there and watch sex scenes. That's another reason we don't go to theaters - you can't fast forward any nudity.

The type of movie and TV entertainment we choose can also affect our relationship with God. Some movies and TV shows are delightful entertainment; some may even enhance our appreciation of our Creator’s marvellous handiwork. But no doubt you have noticed that many shows have exploded with stories featuring adultery, fornication, lesbianism, homosexuality, violence and mass killing. These may be viewed as entertainment. But how do they affect a person You wouldn't’t think of choosing to eat a meal of filthy garbage, would you? What, then, if you are continually exposed to mental garbage? It is bound to become part of your thinking. When watching a motion picture, you are, in effect, associating with the kinds of persons being portrayed on the screen. And movies are deliberately designed to involve you emotionally with the characters, often arousing sympathy for the wrongdoer—the fornicator, the homosexual, even the murderer. Do you want to get deeply involved in such a way with homosexuals, lesbians, fornicators, adulterers and criminals?

I USED to be like that. I have very much changed my ways of thinking, but when I was, yes I watched movies. I watched clean movies though and if when I went to the movie it was worse than I had expected, then I would leave. I do know seveal Christians who refuse to go to the theaters though, which I think is stupid. I now look at things from a different perspective and think by refusing to watch certain movies you're only limiting yourself.

I'm Pentecostal and most of us or all do not watch cable television. We have dvd players so we know what is on the movie and as far as the theaters, we normally do not go but if we do we make sure it is appropriate.

I am VERY particular about the types of movies that my family watches. ANd if it is too bad for the children to watch, then it is too bad for us to watch!!

And we normally do not go to the theater. I wait until it is on DVD so I can screen it before my children set down to watch it.

I'm not a prude, but there is no reason what so ever that there has to be so much swearing in movies. Okay already. We heard you once...every other word is a swear word. It really is starting to detract from the films.

• I don't like the bad mouthing, but in these times there aint no thin I can do about it. still, there is a thing they call "PG" and, as you perhaps might know, it don't got any of the junk in there, but i still find watch pg13 every now and then, I usually only watch pg with younger friends, or if it's a worthy comedy. Hope i helped. Take care, God bless.

Source(s): (unrelated) Christian website---> http://thewaythetruth.com/