Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

I have to write an essay on how american culture has a negative influence on children..?

i need 3 main points to back this up..

my questions are

what are your thoughts on this topic?

and or what would be 3 good points to discuss

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Three things you may use:

America has seen decline of the extended family. Most families since World War Two have been nuclear family, and these are breaking down in greater numbers, leaving more "latch-key" kids.

Greater influence in USA of TV and movie celebrities, or sports celebrities, than perhaps other parts of the world, even if they are catching up, past 10 years or so. (this reduces influence of parents and peers for social values).

Greater dependence on medicines, pills, drugs (both legal and illegal), and this effects health of both parents and children. Over reliance, for example on retalin for "bad behavior" modification, rather than develop better parenting skills.

Overall, in past two generations, we've seen more children trying to raise children, as women under age of 21 were having disportionately, too many children, without a father around as a role model.

And, I could go on, but these should give you enough for now.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, three topics i would discuss...

1. America's children are being sexualized by their surroundings. almost all TV, magazines, and even radio ads have some sort of sexual connotation.

2. Our children are being taught to be sedentary. They are not being pushed into sports, or even encouraged. Its more, go play on the computer, or the xbox. Then they grow up being a little overweight, get a desk job, then die of a heart attack at an earlier age.

3. We are becoming an unhealthy society. Parents are teaching children indirectly that it is ok to eat as much as you want. There is no portion control anymore. Even when portion control is taught, the american society is becoming a culture of fast food, not home cooked meals.

Hope those ideas help, or at least job your imagination to think something up!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You should talk about how media has a negative influence on Children. How adults interact with each other and how war has a negative influence on children.

Media- Kids think in order to be cool and accepted they must have the latest toy or the newest shoes.

Adults- Some adults have a negative influence on children in ways they communicate with each other such as swearing and violence.

War- Kids will think that the only way so solve a problem is by fighting and killing

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

TV. Kids play with character toys from their favorite TV shows which limits imagination.

There's no intereaction or socialization when watching TV which is really important for young kids to grow and learn from each other.

And durring commercial breaks they see things that aren't meant for children's eyes like an advertisement for a show that's not on until 10pm but the previews are aweful.

Source(s): Currently trying to kill my TV.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

tv, video games, and drugs. The kids these days spend too much time inside playing games and watching tv. Kids need to spend more time outside playing and using energy. DRUGS, so many kids start using drugs so early. It's not just young adults and adults. I've heard of kids as young as 9 and 10, smoking and doing things they definately shouldn't be. Hope this helps some.

• 1 decade ago

violence in movies, tv, comericials etc.

sex in books, tvs, comericials

racist/sexist remarks/jokes on places like comedy central, the news, and sitcoms

you could also talk about how children are encouraged to "think for themselves" i was watching the news and it was talking about how 3rd graders were have a mock vote. now everyone knows that they dont know all of the issues or how the choices they make will affect others and that they are just voting however they vote because of their parents or teachers. This leads them to belive that its ok to rely on others for their opinions

unhealthy body images

the comercial pressure to have material objects or not be worthy. i mean think about how you wanted (want) that juicy couture skirt because it would make you "cool"

the focus on wanting others to like you so much that you will change yourself (peer pressure)

fast food, the general unhealthy habits of our society

the fact that the people in movies are more respected then the people who run and govern our country. ask kids what they want to be when they grow up and you get "a movie star" a "model" a "sports star" no one says president anymore

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1: the emphasis placed on celebrity. Celebrities, for the most part, aren't good role models.

2: apathy towards what is happening around the world. Our news media barely even covers international events leaving us uninformed and unconcerned

3. I can't think of another one...

• 1 decade ago

American culture is a gross generalisation and as such cannot be properly answered.

Some social problems for American children are alcohol abuse, the so-called "dumbing down" of the education system and gun crime.

• 4 years ago

I don't have many ideas, but I do agree that kids should be taught about homosexuality. Most kids have this image in their heads that gay people are disgusting, abominations, or something to laugh about. Most children know not to be racist (Unless their idiot parents teach them otherwise), so why not be accepting of the LGBT community?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1) The entertainment industry: sex sells

2) peer pressure: friends influencing drugs/drinking/sex

3) Models and questioning true beauty. The need to be thin to be loved.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.