Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If vampires cannot be seen through a mirror, then how can they be seen by the naked eye?

The eye itself acts like a mirror, so shouldn't that mean that a vampire could not be seen by the naked eye? Or does an eye and a mirror cancel each other out? Silly question after watching a vampire movie, just wondering if anyone else thought of it.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually the reason vampires could not be seen in mirrors is because they believed mirrors reflected souls and vampires, being the undead, had no souls (nothing to do with silver etc). This is also the reason it's bad luck to break mirrors (breaks the part of your soul captured in it - you soul regenerated every seven years, according to this myth. Wonder what that says about seven year old vampires?) and why people covered them when people died in the house (to prevent souls being captured) and why they used to say mirrrors always show the true face (showing the soul, not the outward appearance).

None of which is scientifically true, this is *mythology*. In the extremely unlikely event of the existance of vampires, they would reflect all over the place.

And as a note on the science side: the eye does not at all act like a mirror, as it reflects very little light back at all. Unless you are a cat or other nocturnal animal, in which case your eyes have some reflective proterties to make the most use of limited light, which utterly messes up your ability to focus. Human eyes do not do this. There is limited reflection off the surface, which has absolutely no effect on the eye's abil;ity to function. Light hits and is mostly absorbed by the retina. Light hits and largely bounces off mirrors. Difference.

• 1 decade ago

in the movies, vampires do not have shadows, as the saying goes, a person without a shadow cannot see himself and face the mirror, but can seen by a naked eye, and others too.

Source(s): own opinion
  • 1 decade ago

Well if a vampire could not really see themselves in a mirror then there is no need for them to hate a mirror with the passion that they do.... The reflection of the human eye is far different then the simple reflection that is seen in a mirror.... There is a huge legend about vampires and mirrors I say make an effort to read it..............

• 7 years ago

If vampires can't see themselves in a mirror, how come Count Dracula is always perfectly groomed?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Itself

• 1 decade ago

It has to do with the silver backing on old mirrors. Back in the day mirrors were made with a silver/nitrate backing to reflect the image. Then they were covered with glass. And silver has certain adverse affects on mythological creatures. Such as werewolves. Since then the idea has changed to include his reflection in anything. I don't really know Im just making up sh!t that sounds plausible! haha

Im sorry Ashley D. that you got two thumbs down because you found my answer amusing! haha Some people just give thumbs down to be jerks!! haha HATERS!!

• 1 decade ago

vampires can be seen in the mirror.that is just a legend that people made up to get their kids to stop saying they saw a vampire.they would ask them if they were able to see the person in the mirror.if they said yes then they would say they were not a vampire.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the mirror thing is related to how they have no soul, same reason they have no shadow.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I also want to ask the same question

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Wow, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I looked for the answer on the internet but I couldn't find them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.