promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Implications of Janet Napolitano's appointment as Head of Homeland Security? ?

Please focus on possible changes in immigration policy and practice compared to Bush's Head of the same agency, Michael Chertoff. How do you feel if there are changes and Why ?

Update:

She signed some pretty drastic state legislation directed against non residents, which kind of upset me. She claims that she did it to forestall tougher legislation. Reminds me of Pontius Pilate,

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

She's a Democrat from John McCain's home state.

This appointment is just patronage. Her job is to smile and nod, and collect a nice salary -- travel the USA or the world, on the Public Dime. She's got less experience than the outgoing Chertoff, and that is saying something... you can't expect criticism from our media, today. (It's in the bag for both the Dem brand, ideology if you can say that -- and business-wise, the major TV shows on broadcast & cable will rely in the ad revenue that comes from all things Federal and the Companies that support the Way Things Are, no matter WHO's in office.) Right now, the USA automakers -- who advertise across TV every few minutes -- and throw away 100s of Millions per year, doing this (especially for NFL broadcasts) are banking on taxpayer $$$ by the 10s of Billions, for example. Do YOU think TV or those companies that control purse-strings/ads.. don't have influence -- and that is NOT EVEN counting the Banks & Financials that just for $400-700 BILLION -- and will spend on marketing, across the TV and internet "news shows".

It's all connected.

She's a sham appointment -- as many were. No one will tell you that, across the Happy Talk CNN etc. news "shows" that will need each of these figureheads to come on TV, for their ratings and feelings of importance/relevance. Anderson Cooper, afterall is a son of Diane Von Furstenburg who was a game-show host -- before he started making SERIOUS faces, and let his hair go gray (for affect). Do you think he's a journalist? who on TV will ask ANY question? who really cares about competence anymore -- they just want GWB and Cheney to "go away" and the Clintons BACK for personal happiness and a feeling of accomplishment.

It's like, as if to say: "No matter how ineffective the new Cabinet etc. will be -- at least they're not GOPers." Which is probably the most disgusting & abuse of power.. to appoint people based on patronage or celebrity -- and support it, blindly like Hillary running the State Dept. (!!!). ANYONE REMEMBER SHE MADE UP and INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT THAT SHE WAS "Shot at" at a Kosovo Airport? when there was a little 6 yr old girl meeting her, with a freaking FLOWER on video? THAT is our Worldwide Rep? (anyone ask Vince Foster how he feels about this? much less WHAT was in those files stolen from his desk, within minutes of his being found dead?). Is there anyone, in any media about to point out -- even after vilifying GWB for having nearly NO experience when he was elected? -- that we just elected a man that was a college STUDENT until he was 29 yrs old and then worked another 11 yrs as a "college lecturer" (which is why he's comfy before people) = 40 years as an academic? remember the old line: "those who can't DO, teach"? well, now we have a President that was 40 and then entered elected office for IL State & then the Senate -- and no one can name any accomplishments, bills or affect, even for the inner city of Chicago (where he moved to and married, and had a stake -- although his kids didn't attend Public Schools there, etc.).

It's just beyond tears, now.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Whew! What a dose of Rush Limbaugh one gets from reading these Yahoo posts! Janet Napolitano's appointment is fine with me. I believe she is capable and experienced, as well as possessing a fine mixture of believing in a strict accordance with the law, along with great compassion.

Michael Chertoff has been a strange presence in our government. During Katrina, I wondered if he had lost his mind, and I still think FEMA should be separated from Homeland Security. Years have passed and New Orleans remains a mess, with rampant crime and people's lives in shambles. Napolitano can't be any worse than this.

The Gov. of Massachusetts made some sarcastic remark today about Napolitano's not "having a life," implying that a woman without children has nothing to fill her hours. It seems to me that if remaining childless is a woman's choice, it is her business alone. No one questions a man's ability to do a job, with our without a family. These sexist remarks are not appropriate in today's world.

Napolitano was thoroughly vetted by Obama's people and I am going to trust his judgment until events prove the wrong decisions have been made.

• Dave M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Don't think Janet is going to work to hard to solve the illegal problems. Would rather have seen that controversial AZ, sheriff been made head of Homeland Security.

• 1 decade ago

I think that the actual problems can be solved in part and whit the new government core and Janet, maybe.

Source(s): ...La esperanza es lo último que se pierde pero la esperanza es para los tontos, por lo tanto: La esperanza es lo último que pierde un tonto...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

She did close her own states broder, what makes you think she is going to be any good at Homeland Security!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it will be hard for the conservative male to accept a women to protect them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.