Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Lab created vs. Natural diamond?

So, I read the question below and noticed that alot of people said they would rather have a lab created engagement ring. I was wondering what is the difference (other than the obvious fact that it is man-made) between lab created & natural (does it look different?) Is a lab created diamond the same thing as a Cubic Zarconia? Because I've always heard that CZ's are like cheap, knock-off diamonds. Was I just mis-informed by jewelry snobs? Because the idea of paying less would probably spur my boyfriend to propose sooner.

Maybe I should casually mention that CZ's are just as nice as natural diamonds.....

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

CZ is not a diamond, it's as most people would call "fake."

Lab-created diamonds are identical to real diamonds. They are still diamonds, but are man-made instead of mined.

Also, from wikipedia: "Although synthetic and natural diamonds are theoretically identical and indistinguishable from each other, diamonds from each of the two categories usually incorporate their own characteristic imperfections, arising from the circumstances of their creation, that allow them to be distinguished from each other."

So a professional can tell a difference, but really, it's still a diamond. It's also easier, I think, to make bigger or colored diamonds when they are lab-created. And, best of all, none of the pesky political/human rights issues associated with mined diamonds!

ETA: I just want to add that if YOU like CZ, or moissanite, or another diamond-like stone, go for it! It will be cheaper and probably just as pretty. This whole diamond racket is all based on a decades-old marketing campaign anyway.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Lab created vs. Natural diamond?

So, I read the question below and noticed that alot of people said they would rather have a lab created engagement ring. I was wondering what is the difference (other than the obvious fact that it is man-made) between lab created & natural (does it look different?) Is a lab created diamond the same...

Source(s): lab created natural diamond: https://suggests.im/e11/lab-created-vs-natural-dia...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

CZ might look nice but they are not as durable as Diamonds...mand-made or natural) I wont explain the difference becasue someone alaredy has..but if you are worried about the price i would recommend going with a man-made instead of a natural.. for example a 1.3 carat real diamond could cost around $8,000-15,000 where the same carat would cost abut $800- 1,000 (all that depening on the cut and clarity of the diamond) that way you'll save money and nobody can tell the difference...only experts..

CZ wont last forever like idamonds they get scratched easy..and they look of it on the light is very different from a diamond..

Diamonds are more durable, never scratch and almost imposible to break..only diamods can cut other diamonds...thats why diamonds were chose fot engagement and wedding rings because you can use them every day and they wont change in shape or colour...

i hope will all the answers you have better idea...i was confused too but i did lots of research.. :)

this link is very good:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Man-Made-Diamonds;-A-Buy...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

True lab created diamonds are real diamonds made in a lab instead of in the earth as in nature. They have the same chemical makeup as natural stones. They are MUCH more expensive than CZ which is NOT a true lab created diamond, but much less than a natural diamond of the same quality.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

BEWARE of "lab" diamonds because they are not durable and are pretty much CZs that are highly priced. I bought a loose stone from Lab-diamonds.com. When I got it, I put it in a setting and it looked too much like a CZ. It was very transparent like glass, so I took it out of the setting and returned in. I received the following email from the Seller that my refund has been denied:

=======================================...

Attn: (Buyer)

Dear Ms. Macnow, On March 14, you sent us an email indicating you would like to return

the stone you had purchased saying "I don't like how it looks like a CZ and is too transparent."

We responded on March 17th. and issued a Return Authorization #RA31714/CM/LC.

We just received the stone back and upon examination find that the stone has been abused

by someone filing it with either a file, or other abrasive instrument, rendering it damaged goods

and therefore not salable. We cannot issue a refund on damaged and non-salable merchandise.

We have attached a photo of the file marks that can be easily seen with the stone in the 12 o'clock position.

Your refund request is denied. We will return the stone to you.

Lee Cartwright

Director of Sales, N.A.

800-682-1799

=======================================...

I do not want the stone back I want a refund and the seller should honor their refund policy. If there is a scratch on the stone then the Seller is selling a misrepresented product because according to their website their stones have a 9.7 Moh hardness which means it can not be scratched:

http://www.lab-diamonds.com/why-buy-a-lab-diamond....

Even a Moissanite does not scratch and they are saying that their stone is more durable. So if the stone is scratched I should not be held responsible. I believe they are selling CZs and are lying to customers about the durability of their stones. They are selling CZs. How else can the stone scratch? Anything with a 9.7 Moh hardness should not be so fragile.

• 1 decade ago

A LC diamond is not the same as a CZ. It looks exactly the same as a real diamond and has all of the same properties. It was just created in a lab instead of pulled from the earth. The only way to tell is to take it to a jewelry store where they shine a special light on it.

• Lydia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is, and as others explained - if no other choice, I'd go with cz. I agree with you that some CZs are just lovely.

However these days with sales everywhere, you can get real diamonds at the same price, really. Otherwise, I'd go with smaller real, than larger anything else.

Zales always has great rings on clearance, and K-Mart right now has gorgeous rings and sets worth over a grand, selling for 70% off - amazing!

Check overstock.com too.

• Ms. X
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Natural diamonds and lab created diamonds are chemically the same: carbon atoms in a lattice structure of bonds. Forming a diamond requires not just carbon (after all, graphite in pencils are carbon), but heat and pressure. In natural diamonds, nature supplies the heat and pressure, whereas in a lab, the lab supplies the heat and pressure.

CZs are not made of carbon like diamonds. They're made of zirconum dioxide, chemical formula ZrO2. They look superficially like diamonds, but most people who know diamonds can tell with the naked eye they're not diamonds.

FWIW, I have a moissanite ring, chemical formula SiC. It looks like a sparkley diamond, and is 1/10th the cost of a diamond. Everyone thinks it's a sparkley diamond. You would need to look at it under 10X magnification to tell it's not a diamond.

• 6 years ago

HPHT (high-pressure high-temperature) diamond or CVD (chemical vapour deposition) diamond are the process to make synthetic diamond.

However, all properties are the same as natural diamond (hardness, light reflection, thermal conductivity etc) but it is extremely difficult to make large carat size quality stones such as natural diamond (2 Ct and above).

Cubic zirconia (CZ) is the cubic crystalline form of zirconium dioxide (ZrO2). The synthesized material is hard, optically flawless and usually colorless, but may be made in a variety of different colors.

• 1 decade ago

You have all the facts now from all the answers;but at the end of the day; a ring doesn't define your marraige; in some states a ring isn't even required during a wedding ceremony. I have been blessed to have the real thing - ;.when my husband and I are dining & traveling. I always wear CZ in case it's lost or stolen...it's not as expensive as the lab diamonds and can easily be replaced. best wishes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.