who likes shrimp creole (coonass/cajun style)?

Somebody was asking about a shrimp creole recipe yesterday and I thought about answering but to tell you the truth...I don't keep recipes. I just work with what I've got and add what I like to taste and it always comes out right. My folks say it's a gift. My best advice is, keep it fresh and don't over do it. You can always add more but it's hard to take it out. (fresh onions, garlic and green peppers a pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper...sauteed w/bacon and butter makes everything taste good...hahaha) maybe dice a couple of ripe tomatoes and add 'em to the mix, throw in couple pounds of 12-15 count shrimp (deveined) and a pot of creamy grits (instead of rice) on the side. A loaf of french bread w/ lots butter, garlic and grated parmesan. A fresh green salad w/ homemade olive oil vinaigrette and a glass (or two) of red wine...damn, I know what's for supper tonight.

How's that sound?

My mom's folks moved to New Orleans when she was a child and I lived there for awhile. I got some real coonasses in de family...tell you me.

I always make some rice too. Not everyone has acquired the taste. I think most folks never had 'em fixed right. But dat's okay..'cher. No grits fo' you..

Yeah..you can put lotsa stuff in there and I would probably add some more as I go along but like I said...there ain't no recipe. Plus, I ain't making jambalaya. If I was...look out.

Hey Nan...like I said..."don't over do it..you can always add more but it's hard to take it out."

That's what I was talking about. Salt, pepper, spices, etc...and canned 'meters will do but we both know the difference.

I can my own 'maters. Had 500 plants this year. Still got some ripe on the vine. Til we getta freeze anyway. Gonna build another greenhouse this winter.

hey fishin.. like my coonass kinfolk say...if it don't eat me first it's fair game.

... throw it in de pot and whatever else we got...heh

damn that was good!!!

Favorite Answer

You know I do Dr........even though I live in the other Louisiana!!! (north Louisiana) LOL!!

I have cooked and eaten Shrimp Creole, Seafood Gumbo, Boiled Crawfish and you name it as long as I can remember! Remember I am from Louisiana. If it moves we cook it, just about! I don't use recipes either, but when folks ask for them, well what do you do, you gotta please em you know!

nfd♥

Your right it is a gift. I rarely use recipes. I glance at the ingredients needed and decide if I can improve it. Even if I can't improve the recipe a real chef does not need to measure. I just know how much to add even if I am cooking for 50 people. The only mistake I make is too much salt, so I add that at the end now until the food taste right. My advice is to under salt. I have seen so many people salting the food out of habit even before they taste it. Your on the right path. I like to use celery,onion, garlic,red,and green peppers in my creole. I used canned tomatoes when I was out of fresh, or canned chunky rotel for a spicy flavor.

Source(s): I pretend to be a chef http://www.texmex.net/Rotel/main.htm I noticed you have 25% best answers (me too)

I was watching one of our local chef's cook it on his show and i was amazed at what all he put in his.I agree though bacon and butter (has to be real butter land of lakes)make everything taste better.

I have never made it we are not much for shrimp I do crave it once in while though..

Sounds like a wonderful dinner.

We love anything cajun.

Copelands restautrant there is new orleans is fabulous.The one in Pensacola,Fl shut down ..that was the closest one to us in destin ,fla

Source(s): Glad momma taught you to cook!

Mais dat sound good til ya said grits.I gotta have my rice wit all my coonass dishes yeah!