Doubling dosage in sleeping pills?

So recently I was fired from my job and with my days being empty and having no obligations my sleeping schedule has gone WAY off track. One night I went to bed at 6am and woke up at 2pm and haven't been able to change it. I tried falling asleep but I end up laying in my bed until the sun comes up.

So I tried sleeping pills last night and there was NO effect. I waited hours and wasn't the least bit tired. The dosage is two small pills. Would I be okay taking 3 or 4 instead of the 2? I'm so sick of waking up only 2 hours before the sun sets. I never see daylight anymore and I'm getting really depressed. I need to fall asleep at midnight somehow you know?

So would it be safe? It wouldn't harm me would it? It would just make me even more tired (I hope).

They are store bought pills, not prescribed.

I don't have money to go to a doctor since I am unemployed and without health insurance. :(

Favorite Answer

You didn't say if they were doctor prescribed or something otc like nytol. The doctor prescribed pills such as Ambien and Lunesta are wonderful and work great but I wouldn't double up on those. I've seen 5 free pill coupons to take to your doctor to try them if this isn't what you are using at this time.

I was a chronic insomniac and would take Benedryl every night to sleep (it has the same stuff in it as many of the otc sleeping pills). I decided to get dr. prescribed sleeping pills and it was so much more relaxing. I didn't get addicted and I now don't need them. I used to take benedryl for 6 years, and sometimes doubled up on the pills. I thought I would never get my natural sleep pattern back.

As for the otc pills, 25 mg. of the chemical that makes you sleepy is found in one pill (at least in Benadryl- you'd have to look at how much is in what you are using) and I know you can go up to 50 mg.; my mother works in a nursing home and they often give 50mg of the chemical in benadryl to the "old folks" and it is safe.

***Just read your last remarks that they are OTC pills. I doubled up on my Benadryl quite a few times in the 6 years I took them. Sometimes they take a couple of hours to work. I found that if I ate something small, like a small handfull of walnuts, they would kick in much faster since they give your stomach something to work on. I used Ben. because the Nytol and other otc sleeping pills made my legs restless and for some reason that didn't happen with the benadryl.

I also know that staying awake all day doesn't do anything to correct the problem contrary to what others may say, because some of us have been up for 2 weeks straight with maybe 2 hours of sleep every 2 days, so if that doesn't work for you, it's worse than artificial sleep.

As far as excercising, I think running 5 to 12 miles 5 and 6 days a week would qualify as excercise and I do all of that, but this wasn't even effective for me. My liver is also fine. My doctor didn't freak out when I told her about my nightly Benadryl for sleep. I would suggest though, that if you aren't going to monitor this with blood tests since you don't see a doctor, you don't take this long term.

Skip the sleeping pills, often they don't work well to begin with. No point in taking twice as much of something that doesn't work.

You can try just staying up all day tomorrow, that way you will be tired tomorrow night. I do this when I get turned around from having an odd schedule. Just make sure you stay busy so you don't get too tired tomorrow, and don't take a nap at all or it'll refresh you so much that you might stay up all night again tomorrow night.

Otherwise, if you really want to just sleep more, you can try taking 2 Dramamine (the non-drowsy kind, obviously,) or a dose of NyQuil. These are very good at making people sleepy, especially if you lay down in the dark and don't have any electronics or noise on. I find that they work a lot better than sleeping pills.

Also, avoid all caffeine for around 10 hours before you plan on falling asleep. Caffeine keeps you wired.

Never use more than the recommended dosage of a medication without asking your doctor or pharmacist personally. Seriously. Too many problems can develop.

No, I don't think taking double the dosage is a good idea. You need to force yourself to stay awake if you are falling asleep around 6 am. Try to stay awake until the following evening and after a few days you should go back to being tired at night. Also try to find some sort of activitiy to do during the day that will burn calories and keep you active. A little activity, like your job used to do should make you tired at night.

Source(s): I'm unemployed too....

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Sorry but no. It's just not safe. You can just simply try setting the alarm to go off at a set time and GET UP! Yes you will be tired, but you will fall asleep earlier. Continue setting the alarm an hour earlier every couple of days. You will get back on track. Then keep to your regular schedule, no matter what! I work midnights, 3 days a week. My schedule is always screwed up, cause I never know what days I'm on. Do your best to avoid the sleeping pills. They are addictive and you don't need that on your plate right now. Being a nurse, I would know!

• dominp

i have taken 2 before...only suppose to take 1. These were prescription sleeping pills. I would start with 3 though and hopefully that will be ok and only use 4 if they are still not having much effect.

Once you get back on a normal sleep schedule though try to not take them any more if you can...they can become very dependent forming

Well, I ain't no doctor but from experience long ago, going from 2 pills to 4 will not harm you, since they are over the counter pills.

A warm bath is a great way to relax and help you to sleep.. If you can’t take a bath, you can give yourself a foot massage with slightly warm massage oil, sesame oil, or castor oil from a health food store.

What was very helpful to me, especially when my mind was racing, was to lie in bed and listen to relaxation CDs, especially those that contain someone speaking with relaxing music in the background. Many of these CDs are available on eBay for very low prices.

A helpful technique is to relax your body one part at a time. So you could relax your feet, your lower legs, upper legs, moving up from your lower belly up to your chest, etc., etc.

Of course, guided relaxation methods can help, imagining yourself in the country, the beach, or whatever is most soothing to you.

There are herbs that are helpful for sleep, eg, valerian root, kava kava, chamomile, hops, passion flower, skullcap. If you get the real herbs, you can make teas out of them. Otherwise get the herbs in capsule form. Probably, valerian root and kava kava are the best.

You can also try tryptophan, 5-HTP and melatonin (1-2 mg). I would not take melatonin for over a month unless a doctor says it is ok. Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland. If you take too much, your pineal gland might get "lazy" and produce less melatonin naturally. Life Extension and TwinLabs are probably the best brands, in that order.

Don't depend on sleeping pills.

You will become resistant to the effect and then end up taking more and more. Eventually you will get addicted.

What I suggest you do is get some exercise. Go outside, run walk, socialize and keep your day active. That way you will be tired by midnight and will be able to go to sleep on time. It might take some time, but it will definitely help you get back on track. You will feel happier and healthier...

Cheers!

No, it wouldn't be safe, and please don't do it. Even if it does make you sleep, you will be doing much damage to your liver, and the possibility of an overdose is very real. An easier fix would be to stay awake for an entire day, or take a small nap with the alarm set and get up after an hour or so. Position yourself so that you can fall asleep at the desired hour. Also, once you get into the proper sleeping routine, make yourself be active by walking or jogging or shopping or doing anything physical so that you will be tired at the end of the day.

when in doubt ask the pros my friend its better then asking randoms looking for yahoo points lol. Ive heard (never tried sleeping pills myself) that say you have 2 and it puts you to sleep. your immune system will then fight them off the next night forcing you to take 4 then 6 etc etc. have you tried non drug approach? try exercising an hour or two and you should be all sweet. the more exercise the more sleep you would want. i went to bed like 2 and i got a physically demanding job now i go to bed like 9 my 8 year old sister stays up later then me now.