Poll: What does this phrase mean to you, choose your battles wisely?

Anyone?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Everyone has some understanding of their limitations, be it either the extent of your strengths or the depths of your weaknesses. Based on this knowledge, it's up to all of us to choose battles that we think we can impact. We must fight where we think we can make a difference, and we must concede where we know we have lost. Basically, it means that you should place your effort where it will do the most good, and not waste it on impossible battles.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

More than anything else it means don't be a fussbudget. Everywhere around us there are injustices, large and small. Besides a limited amount of energy to fight those injustices, we have a limited tolerance from others for those fights. So choosing battles wisely means pick those that correct something egregious, and that tend to increase your support rather than diminish it. Rare is the battle that is won without support. Example: The effort against the Vietnam war was one battle that grew and grew, and nearly destroyed our social structure, but for many it was a wise choice. A battle against the fashion of short skirts would be one that diminished support and polarized followers and for most would not be a wise battle choice.

• 1 decade ago

I think it means that you have to choose the battles that you really care about. If you start fighting against every little thing you have a problem with, you are going to expend your energy and people won't take you as seriously... they'll just think, "oh, he's at it again." Choose the battles that you really want to win.

• 1 decade ago

Some battles are not worth the fight.

Some battles cannot be won even if you are in the right, due to the other sides ignorance or stubbornness.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

this is a way of life for me because that is the motto i live by, i have four kids and 2 granddaughters. if i didnt understand and live by this i would be insane by now. my kids are 20,19,17,16. so i always choose my battles wisely.

• 1 decade ago

Don't get worked up about every injustice done to you, just stand up for yourself and fight the serious stuff, not the little things that don't matter when you look at the big picture.

• 1 decade ago

Pick battles big enough to matter and small enough to win.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

your credibility will suffer if you b*tch about every little thing. decide which is the most important thing to you and fight for that. For example, with roommates, it may be more important for them to stop stealing your food than to make them put the toilet paper on the tp holder correctly (with the paper falling to the front)

• 1 decade ago

To me, it means decide how much effort or force to push something through, whether it is worth the trouble or not. How much will it accomplish.

• 1 decade ago

Only fight over things that really matter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.