Which one of these two things is worse? ?

I was browsing around the polls & surveys section earlier today and I came across this...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArpwA...

question in which someone asked what was up with the nude avatars here on Yahoo! Answers (yes there are a few of them). Now most sane people agreed that a nude pic in a Yahoo! Answers avatar has no place on here. Many of them cited the fact that children read this website and called people who did that sick losers or trolls starving for attention. Even if you like porn (I do!!, guilty as charged); most sane people would agree that this is not the place for it.

But then I began to think of other things that are on Yahoo! Answers, particularly in the religion & spirituality section and the politics section; where many dangerous viewpoints are expressed that could potentially corrupt anyone, including minors. We have atheists on here who repeatedly say that God doesn't exist and that the Bible is a fairy tale. We have people advocating positions of God being removed from the government and not being taught in schools, positions against public prayer; and other things which could encumber mankind's relationship with God. We have people wishing for the death of all religion, blaming religion for wars, and we even have people saying that religious people have a mental disorder. We have people advocating immoral viewpoints on things such as abortion. All of these things could potentially harm society even more then anything pictures could ever do.

So, which is worse, mere pictures (of God's creation no less); or corruptible words?

What are your thoughts?

I may have opened up Pandora's Box; fire away.

Well I never said I was against free speech I intended to ask what was more harmful.

Best Answer

Neither are harmful. Everyone sees naked people. Porn pictures, might be a problem, but the human body? I could care less. By the time one can use the internet, you've seen naked men and women. No big shock in seeing another set of breasts. It's certainly in extremely poor taste, but it's not mind-scarringly horrible. Of the two, however, this is the 'worse' one, I think.

As for the second one, such words are not harmful or corrupting. They are questioning. All children should be encouraged and allowed to question. To do otherwise is to crush their curiosity and critical thinking. I was raised an atheist, and exposed to religious viewpoints from others. My parents didn't complain, but instead focused on explaining any questions such interactions raised.

We are not here to do their parenting for them. If they want to isolate their kids from all other viewpoints, they can do that, no matter how harmful it is. But they shouldn't ask everyone around them to self-censor viewpoints that conflict with their own.

Three amazing things: 1) im 9 weeks pregnant and can now feel my uterus pushing up which is sooo exciting! 2) Ive finished all of my uni lectures until october (just exams to revise for) 3) my son! he's a good thing on any day of the week, in the month or of the year! One bad thing: My morning sickness has started and was really bad yesterday! but then thats also a good thing as i know my hormones are working!

Personally, I think the pictures are worse, only because the viewpoints expressed (no matter what beliefs they represent) can be discussed in a family. It might actually make for some great conversation, and a kid can choose what he/she believes in after hearing about many different beliefs. With pictures, they are images that will probably stick in young minds that can't be erased and are inappropriate.

That's just my opinion!

Free speech or a pedophile's penis?

That's a toughy. If I had children, I would definitely not want them to be exposed to people exercising their rights of free speech.

We could also have brainwahsed people pandering to an imaginary being's supposed holy book.

We wouldn't want to corrupt any children with that, now would we?