help with cooking chicken?

i am just making dinner for when my mum gets home. I got the chicken out of the freezer but it was completely frozen. I put it in the sink and poured boiled water over it [there were two chicken breasts] the top part unfreezed, and I was impatiient so i began cutting it and put a few bits in a pan with onions. Then I suddenly realised... is that bad for you?? putting partly frozen chicken in a pan with cooked onions?? or even the pouring boiling water over it part?? argghh!! help!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It will be fine - you could actually boil the frozen chicken in a pot of water until fully cooked or even until defrosted then finish with your recipe.

I have a yummy chicken pasta recipe you might want to try:

here's the link: http://cheapfamilymeals.info/2008/09/26/chicken-pa...

Good Luck -Machelle at http://www.cheapfamilymeals.info

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I find the best way to cook chicken is to defrost it in the microwave (it should have a defrost option), i've never personally tried the boiling water method but I dont see a problem with it so long as the surface was clean.

Putting chicken in with cooked onions is fine. The only thing is the onions could be overcooked.

Onions usually go in first as that take the longest, usually about 30 seconds to a minute then put the chicken in.

Just remember if your chopping up a salad or vegetables or anything that isnt going to be cooked, remember to change your knives.

Never cut chicken with the same knife as vegies.

:)

• 1 decade ago

You should not defrost by using boiling water, having said that, getting impatient and using it straight away was probably the best thing you did.

Food is dangerous in that half way state - between cold and cooked. so pouring boiling water on the chicken, and then leaving it to sit half raw and half partially cooked could leave to problems.

Make sure that the chicken is fully cooked before you serve it, and it should be fine. The main problem with cooking frozen meat is that the outside is cooked, before the middle is done, and that leads to the half cooked/half raw problem. If you chopped it up and are cooking it in small pieces, you should avoid that problem, but just be careful that it is fully cooked all the way through.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it's not bad for you. You may want to make this recipe, and extend the cooking time because the chicken is till somewhat frozen.

Lazy Gourmet Chicken

1 tbls sugar

¼ cup vinegar

½ cup soy sauce

4 garlic cloves, minced

¾ tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 ½ - 3 # fryer, cut up or 2-3 pounds legs/thighs/breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a large, tightly lidded saucepan and bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces and coat each well. Keep covered and reduce heat, simmer 35-40 minutes, basting several times along the way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I prefer raw. Heating meat destroys nutrients. And cooked bones are dangerous to dogs. If you feed cooked you'd have to only feed meat, no bones, and bones are good for dogs' teeth as well as a source of calcium. A healthy dog can eat raw meat without much concern for the bacteria in it. If a dog has a pre-existing health condition or is immune-comprimised, raw chicken could be dangerous and the dog might not be able to handle the bacteria, and could become sick. So if that is the case cooking is better. A diet of only chicken is not balanced, it lacks many nutrients, namely Zinc. So other meats and organs need to be added to create a balanced diet.

• kitch
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Next time thaw the chicken with cold water. Boiling water or hot water cooks the chicken. You would be better off just boiling the chicken in water, adding vegetables to that and making some dumplings in the broth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No its not bad for you, altho it may not make the chicken taste the best. Trying to cook it while its still frozen might make it a little rubbery and will take longer to cook it.. but it wont hurt you. You woulda been better off to defrost it in the microwave if you have one. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.