promotion image of download ymail app
john asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Debt validation letter?

i have this debt that gets passed to different debt collecting agencies. I was out of the county for 2 months and just got my mail and got another notice from a collection agency and this debt that is 12 years old. The problem is that it was send to me on 10.11.08. i only have 30 days to valitate this according to the rules.

please advise

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you are certain that this debt is time bared (beyond your states statute of limitations) and it is not a judgment or lawsuit, then send the following letter: You fill in the blanks:

    Your Name

    Your Address

    City, State, Zip


    General Revenue Corporation


    City, State, Zip

    Re: Acct #XXXXX

    To Whom It May Concern

    This letter comes in response to your [letter dated xx-xx-20xx] (copy enclosed) or [phone call from xx-xx-20xx], concerning the collection of the above referenced account.

    First, I want to inform you that I am well aware of my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and applicable State laws. Having said this, I hope to save both of us a great deal of time by informing you that I formally dispute the validity of this debt. In addition, I am aware that the time period limiting legal actions to enforce this type of debt in (insert your state or the state in which the contract was signed) has expired. Furthermore, I am aware that any attempt to bring an action in court that is time-barred may result in sanctions for filing a frivolous claim.

    As of today, I consider this matter closed and demand that your agency and affiliates immediately cease and desist contact with me regarding this matter except to advise me that your debt collection efforts are being terminated. Further communication attempts of any form or substance are prohibited by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692a, et seq. I plan to report any such violations to my State Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission and, if necessary, to take whatever legal action is necessary to protect myself.

    Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.


    If they still persist, then file a complaint with your state attorney general and the FTC.

    Hope this answer is of help to you

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here is intended for informational purposes only. It is not intended nor presumed to be legal counsel or professional legal advice

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.