What do I do against my girlfriend ex-boyfriend trying to contact me? Any laws? Police?

My girlfriend was in a 10 year relationship prior to us but her ex boyfriend just keeping coming back trying to contact me to tell me lies about them. We have been together for 2 years now… Time frame about him: DEC 2006: 3 months into my relationship with my girl he found out about us and somehow got my... show more My girlfriend was in a 10 year relationship prior to us but her ex boyfriend just keeping coming back trying to contact me to tell me lies about them. We have been together for 2 years now…

Time frame about him:

DEC 2006: 3 months into my relationship with my girl he found out about us and somehow got my phone number. He kept coming me to tell me lies about them being together. But we figured to tell him that we broke up….

DEC 2006 – OCT 2008: He kept bothering her throughout the next 1 ½ years and not knowing we were together…..

OCT 2008: he found out about us still being together and he started to call me almost every day but I wouldn’t answer until I had him blocked.

NOV 2008: Now we believe he has broken into her email account (can’t proof it) and he knows all my information from birthday to my personal numbers and address and relatives address. He email today about more lies and that he is going to show up at my home address or relative’s house to try to talk to me so I keep blocking his number. He just wants me to threaten him so he can take action against me but I promise I would keep it cool but I am afraid he is going to get my family in involved.

About him: according to my girl, he’s got mental issues and wants her money. He lives in another state and acording to his email, if I don't reply to his email he will show up in my state

Can the police do anything about this? I need ideas.

Someone told me that if he doesn’t threaten me I can’t do anything about it. He wants to talk to me so he could tell me lies but I don’t want to talk to him. I have tried to ignore him but he figures other way to contact me.
Update: My girlfriend doesn't call or email him and has rapidly asked him to stop contacting her. Her father even told him to stop contact her but he doesnt get it. He doesn't stop but she in the process of getting a restraining order today.
Update 2: He can't contact me through the phone anymore but used too because I have him blocked. Today, he email (will not reply). He also has my home and parent's address