Would anybody mind telling me a little about Eastern Europe?

I found out that this organization I got accepted into has a program in Eastern Europe. When I called the company in L.A. today, I asked them where specifically and they told me it would be in Slovenia, Romania, and Bulgaria. In other words, it's in The Balkan Region. I know very little about that region. Here is... show more I found out that this organization I got accepted into has a program in Eastern Europe. When I called the company in L.A. today, I asked them where specifically and they told me it would be in Slovenia, Romania, and Bulgaria. In other words, it's in The Balkan Region. I know very little about that region. Here is what I do know. I know about Vlad Tepes and Nicolai Ceacescu. I know there's a lot of gypsies over there and they eat lots of yogurt. I know that the former Yugoslavian countries are still war-torn.I don't know about these specific countries, but I know in a lot of the former Eastern Bloc countries, the women outnumber the men about 5 to 1. I know that gymnastics are very big in those countries and there are lots of caves there, too. That's about all I do know. Would someone mind filling me in a little more on the culture there? Are there hot chicks in those countries like there are in the former Soviet countries? Do they have a lot of hot thermal springs there like they do in Hungary, The Czech Republic, and Slovakia?
Update: I know Romania is part of the European Union now. So is Poland. But I also know that during the Cold War, it was part of the Soviet Bloc. Perhaps I worded that wrong.
Update 2: Actually Slovakia was part of Czechoslovakia, not Slovenia. Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia. Meanwhile, I see no reason not to agree with everything else you had to say.