nfl football team names?

why are so many teams in the nfl named after an animal i mean you've got the buffalo bills,arizona cardinals,jacksonville Jaguars,miami dolphins, and also the baltimore ravens(i may have left out a few)i just wanna know why there's so many teams named after an animal

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

lots of sports teams are named after animals. detroit tigers, pittsburgh penguins, pheonix coyotes, flordia panthers, florida rays atlanta hawks.

and the packers are named due to the meat packing industry, steelers steel industry. the raiders, buccaneers is pirate stuff. browns are named after their original owner.

• 1 decade ago

The Bills were named after the Buffalo Bills from the All-American Football Conference (defunct league, obviously). The AAFC Bills' named paid homage to William "Buffalo Bill" Cody-a famous American showman who brought the "wild west" to the masses. They are not named after an animal.

The teams that are named after animals tend to name themselves after animals that are intimidating. I'm not sure why how Dolphins are intimidating, but they're in Miami so it works.

The Ravens name, however, was inspired by "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe who is buried in Baltimore.

• 1 decade ago

You forgot the Seattle Seahawks, the Detroit Lions, and St. Louis Rams.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because the orlando refrigerators doesnt sound as good.

I dont know. Notice most of those animals are intimidating and make cool football helmet logos

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I believe they are just named after a powerful, predatory animal to 'scare' the opposition. Overall, they are mostly marketing for the fans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the Antarctica Dishwashers is not as cool.

Source(s): BRONCOS SUCK
  • 1 decade ago

i don't know what you're thinking reagan, a dolphin and cardinal intimidates you or something?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cause they are a sign of toughness or leadership

• 1 decade ago

I am not sure but what is up with the other names? Steelers, Packers, Raiders, ect. WTF?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.