The United States ought to submit to the jurisdiction of an international court designed to prosecute crimes ?

The United States ought to submit to the jurisdiction of an international court designed to prosecute crimes against humanity.

Can someone help me understand this topic? Give me a few definitions and get me through the topic?

Favorite Answer

Wow another ld debater how very likely...

The resolution is saying that The United States should let an international court prosecute it's citizens that have commited crimes against humanity.

Example: some American kills an innocent person in Iraq while fighting the war. That is a crime against humanity that America will fail to recognize or give him a honororable discharge, while Iraq just lost a citizen.

these are my definitions in my case so far :

1. Jurisdiction: the power, right, or authority to interpret and apply the law

; The authority of a sovereign power to govern or legislate.

2. Submit: to yield to governance or authority

3. International: relating to, or affecting two or more nations

4. crimes against humanity: include crimes such as the extermination of civilians, enslavement, torture, rape, forced pregnancy, deportation, persecution on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious or gender grounds, and enforced disappearances—but only when they are part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against a civilian population. The "widespread or systematic" qualification for crimes against humanity is very important, as it provides a higher threshold and differentiates it from random acts of violence—such as rape, murder, or even torture—that could be carried out, perhaps even by soldiers in uniform, but which may not actually qualify as crimes against humanity.

For my neg case

My value might be justice,

and my criterion, or standard or whatever you call it might be National Sovereignty.

your aff cases criterion might be something like international welfare if you are novice go with international welfare for your criterion for your judges will just nod and say the earth as a whole is more important, but if you're jv or varsity i would say look on the UN website and go to international court website and just look around for what's best.

hope that helped...