Cannot initialize external hard disk?

Have Vista HP on Asus Z53Sseries. Got Fujitsu-Siemens Storagebird 35EV820, 1TB. Device Manager recognizes it. Driver is installing automatically - ok. Can add/remove it. Explorer does not find it. Computer Manager sees it as Disk 1, Unknown, Not initialized. No letter assigned. When pressing to initialize, it... show more Have Vista HP on Asus Z53Sseries. Got Fujitsu-Siemens Storagebird 35EV820, 1TB. Device Manager recognizes it. Driver is installing automatically - ok. Can add/remove it. Explorer does not find it. Computer Manager sees it as Disk 1, Unknown, Not initialized. No letter assigned. When pressing to initialize, it always ends up with Logical Disk Manager pop up telling me "The device is not ready". Same thing when tried on XP Pro.
Have no network drives mapped. CMD when typing E: (which I believe it should be), I get same "The device is not ready".

Ideas appreciated!
Update: there was no cd with it. Reason - should have installed automatically, as it did. Fujistu-siemens website has no drivers for this external HD.
Any other ideas?

I've searched over half the internet, hoped you could help me with the other half before I return the disk to shop.