Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what do you think of Death penalty and Capital punishment ?

10 points for the one who will give a long answer and information

Thanks in advance

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Death PenaltyEmail this page Suggest a Site Advanced Search Directory > Society and Culture > Crime > Correction and Rehabilitation > Death Penalty

Death Row (67)

Execution Methods (99)

Juvenile Death Penalty@

Opposing Views (28)

Supporting Views (6)

Web Directories (4)

SITE LISTINGS By Popularity | Alphabetical (What's This?)Sites 1 - 18 of 18

Executed Offenders' Last Statements [read review]

Last words of men put to death in Texas. From the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Wikipedia: Capital Punishment

User-created article about the death penalty, exploring the history of the judicially-ordered execution of a prisoner as punishment for a serious crime.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment

Bureau of Justice Statistics: Capital Punishment Statistics

U.S. Bureau of Justice statistics on the number of executions and the characteristics of persons under sentence of death. Statistical data for capital punishment from 1993 to present.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cp.htm

Dead Man Eating

Chronicles the last meals of prisoners awaiting execution.

www.deadmaneating.com

ReligiousTolerance.org: Capital Punishment - The Death Penalty

Provides information from different religious perspectives. ReligiousTolerance.org also includes recent news on capital punishment and alternatives to the death penalty.

www.religioustolerance.org/execute.htm

Punishment: Death Penalty

Offers history and background of the death penalty and links.

www.karisable.com/crpundeath.htm

Capital Punishment: Life or Death?

School project covering both sides of the issue.

www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~tonya/spring/cap/group1.htm

Amicus

London-based charity which trains European lawyers to work with local attorneys on capital punishment cases in the U.S. and around the world.

www.amicus-alj.org

gallowshumor.com

Collection of political cartoons offering a satirical look at the death penalty.

www.gallowshumor.com

U.S. Military Death Penalty

Facts about the military death penalty, history of executions, racial disparities, and news and developments.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=180&scid=32

Waiting to Go: Death Row in the Philippines

Article by Ron Gluckman.

www.gluckman.com/Death'Penalty.htm

Public Cause Network - Death Penalty

Offers pro and con arguements, poll and feedback, information on DNA evidence, information on supreme court decisions, and more.

www.thepubliccause.net/DeathPenalty.html

Executions in the U.S. 1608-1987: The Espy File

Historical record of all executions in the pre- and post-colonial USA, categorized by ethnicity, as well as chronological, alphabetical, and geographical order. From the Death Penalty Information Center.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=8&did=269

Death Penalty Information

Death penalty curriculum for high schools.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.msu.edu

NEJM: Physicians and Execution - Highlights from a Discussion of Lethal Injection

Highlights of a discussion about lethal injection, the current protocol, possible alternatives, and the role of physicians and other health care professionals in putting convicted criminals to death.

content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/358/5/448

Last Word, The

Collection of final statements of condemmed prisoners.

members.tripod.co.uk/robots

Yahoo! News Full Coverage: Death Penalty

Ongoing, in-depth coverage of capital punishment cases in the United States. Includes wire stories, feature articles, opinion pieces, and video clips.

news.yahoo.com/fc/us/Death_penalty

Frontline: The Execution

An examination of capital punishment through the life and crimes of self-confessed double murderer Clifford Boggess, who was executed in Texas in June 1998 after spending almost ten years on death row.

www.pbs.org/frontline/shows/execution

• 5 years ago

I supported capital punishment for a long time, but the more I learned about it, the more I came to oppose it. In the end, several factors changed my mind: - Mistakes happen. Since 1973 in the U.S., over 140 people have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence. These are ALL people who had been found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." A life sentence is reversible. An execution is not. - Cost - because of the legal apparatus designed to minimize wrongful executions (and the enormous expense of maintaining death row facilities), it costs taxpayers MUCH more to execute someone than to imprison them for life. - It is not a deterrent - violent crime rates are consistently HIGHER in death penalty jurisdictions. - It is inconsistently and arbitrarily applied. - It puts too much power in the hands of the government. - Because the U.S. is one of the last remaining nations with capital punishment, many other countries refuse to extradite known criminals who should be standing trial here. - It fosters a culture of violence by asserting that killing is an acceptable solution to a problem. - Jesus was against it (see Matthew 5:7 & 5:38-39, James 4:12, Romans 12:17-21, John 8:7, and James 1:20). - Life without parole (LWOP) is on the books in most states now (all except Alaska), and it means what it says. People who get this sentence are taken off the streets. For good. - As Voltaire once wrote, "let the punishments of criminals be useful. A hanged man is good for nothing; a man condemned to public works still serves the country, and is a living lesson." - Whether you’re a hardened criminal or a government representing the people, killing an unarmed human being is wrong. Period. “He did it first” is not a valid reason.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The 'Eye for an Eye' motto doesn't make any sense. Then you will have to go back to every place you ever worked and replace every pen or pencil that you 'borrowed' and took home by accident. What if you work in a drug company and your actions cause your companies product to kill people? Do you get the death penalty? If you are caught speeding, do you drive under the speed limit for the same distance you were speeding?

People have to be given a chance to rehabilitate, and if that doesn't work, they should stay locked up. Isn't the legal killing of people a lot like playing god. Who are we to decide who should die and live?

Besides all of that, the death penalty is much more expensive on the tax payers that life in prison, because people on death row get a minumum of 6 appeals. State and Federal lawyers are expensive.

• 1 decade ago

I think if you committed a crime horrible enough to receive that sentence then it should be done. I am a productive member of society and follow the rules. I'm not going to rob a bank and murder someone for money or whatever. If I did any of that then I deserve to die.

I sat on a jury and the death penalty was on the table. It was very very horrible. It is all cool on TV but when you are sitting there in person and see the other person right there it is very hard. You have their life in your hands. I couldn't do it. I voted for a 40 year sentence. We all ended up agreeing on 40 years. Maybe other juries and other cases are different. I just couldn't do it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Cheaper? Ha! That's a joke! Do you know how much it costs to take care of them and feed them for the rest of their life if they stay in jail? Alot more than it does to just do the death penalty. I don't agree with the electric chair, that's not humane, but if it's done the right way, then it's a good thing. We need it as a deterrent too. If their was no serious punishment, people would just keep murdering. I'd say just about everyone is afraid of death. If you're going to kill somebody, you deserve the same for yourself.

• 1 decade ago

Capital Punishment has never truly proved to be a solid means of deterring criminals from violent activity, the purpose for which it is designed. The costs, publicity and overall effect on our society makes it less useful and a less desirable way to cure the crime issue. A far more meaningful way would be the proper application of long term, no-probation sentences with hard labor. We might need to build several more large, top-level security prisons across the nation, but that would create jobs, provide a means to secure our populace against these harden criminals and put in place a more effective means of curtailing violent crime. It would also eliminate the possibility of killing an innocent person.

• macy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The problem with the dp is that there are too many miscarriages of justice in the courts and too many unsafe convictions, both of which could result in innocent people being put to death. I take the point that tougher penalties are needed for some crimes, but ultimately I think the dp has to be disregarded as a solution.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I believe in an eye for an eye, i know that it's a little bit more complicated then that, other countries are doing, they have their problems of course, but justice is served.

And Melouofs (sp), how in the world can you say that the death penalty is inhumane, what about the victims, those poor little 8 year olds that was victimized or the guy that was walking downtown with his wife and was murdered over a couple of bucks, where are his rights....inhumane...you have got to be kidding me!!!

• 1 decade ago

I think the death penalty is BS. Its just an easy way out for the person that committed the crime. I believe that if a person kills another person or does something just as bad then they should sit in prison the rest of their life thinking about what they did. Killing them for their crime is just as bad as what they did.<< Hope that made sense.

The death penalty is just a legal way of killing someone, which doesnt make sense. Locking that person up for life seems to me a better way of punishment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If DP were implemented frequently, it would give all those murderers and potential murderers something to be afraid of.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.