Why do some Christians say that Catholicism is not a form of Christianity?

I thought it was since Catholics believe in Jesus as the Christ, lord and savior.

Since they do believe in Jesus, why do SOME other Christians say they are not?

• Velvet
    Best Answer

Yep. Because Protestantism has more fundamentalist and fanatical branches. But Catholics never say Protestants are 'heretics' the way Protestants do.

Fundies develop their own definition of Christianity and exclude anyone who doesn't conform. The same way some Sunnis condemn Shi'ism or Ahmadiyya (etc) and some Orthodox Jews condemn Conservative or Reform Judaism.

• Faye

Good question! I always find this ironic since everyone used to belong to one Church in the Christian faith - Catholicism. The Schism of 1054, the Protestant Reformation, King Henry VIII, were all factors in the splitting of the Church.

Most of it is ignorance, being misinformed, or just about spreading lies about the Catholic faith. Already from some posts I've seen the ever 'popular' misinformed/ignorant statements such as;

"They worship false idols," "Mary is God," "The Pope rules over God".

I wish people would read about the Catholic Church before posting such statements - first time it's okay, they're misinformed, second time it's getting annoying, and by the third time I just want to yell.

I have no problem with people asking questions (that's why there's Y/A !), but when the questions or 'answers' are taken out of context when people clearly don't know the answer but spreading lies (Chris), is when I get really irritated.

Source(s): Roman-Catholic

Coz it is. I remember something back then in my Sunday school, saying that Catholics do believe in Christ. They think that Jesus Christ is the Lord and the Holy Spirit. But they never mention GOD. They don't like the name GOD. They don't like the song "Above All". Anywayz, I hate to mention this, but I'm not Catholic! I'm pentacostal, I believe everything it says in the bible and I follow it. Unlike Catholics, they do worship Jesus Christ. But they idolized the saints and also the material necklace of Jesus Christ hanging on the cross. GOD doesn't like that. *Never doesn't approve those people, who idolized other GODs before HIM.*

I have a big problem with any organization or alleged non-Catholic christian that says "Catholics are not Christians," because they are ignoring the history of Christianity. Some who advance this theory, spend a lot of effort pulling Vatican statements out of context. By saying we are not Christian they think they can get around Jesus' call to Christian unity (Jn 13:34).

In 325 A.D. the Catholic Church discerned the Holy Spirit's voice when it formed the doctrine of the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Ghost, three person's in one). Yup, the "Trinity" is a Catholic doctrine that predates the Evangelical community by 1200 years. That word isn't even in the Bible. The Catholic Church protected Christianity from the Arian heresy that almost gutted Christianity in the 4th century when many began to believe Jesus wasn't "fully God" and "fully human."

Ignorance (in the sense of not knowing something) and bigotry are the two main reasons that some so-called Christians hate their Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.

In the first instance, they've been taught a bunch of lies about what Catholics allegedly do and believe. Even without looking at the other responses to your question, I can tell you what they're going to say: Catholics worship Mary, Catholics are idolators, Catholics put the Pope above Jesus, Catholics practice a "gospel of works," and all the rest of the lies that are told to them by televangelists and Chick tracts.

The good news is those folks will often accept the truth when a Catholic patiently explains what we truly believe. The bad news comes in when you are dealing with anti-Catholic bigots who refuse to change their beliefs even when they are told the truth about the Church. No matter how many times we tell them why we believe what we believe, they will not listen.

Needless to say, Catholics *are* Christians. We believe that there is only one means of salvation, and that is through the Precious Blood of Jesus, shed on the Cross as the perfect Sacrifice for our sins. We worship God and Him Alone, not Mary or saints or statues or the Pope.

By even the most stringent standards, that would make us Christians.

Edit:

Yep, I knew good old CJ was going to show up with his "gospel of works" silliness. Pray for the poor boy -- he apparently has a learning disability. No matter how many times Catholics tell him what we really believe, he doesn't quite seem capable of understanding.

Source(s): Catholic convert

the ironic thing is (and i have nothing against all the other forms of christianity) but catholicism is actually the original form of christianity

all the other ones are just branches who have split from the original church

but we are all christian and all believe in essentially the same thing

i dont even know the differences between them.. and the ones there are are probably miniscule anyway

:)

Source(s): catholic

because they can't handle us Catholics being in the House of God and they are jealous because of it. The Catholic Church is the new Jerusalem and when all churches and religions become one with the Church; then Jesus will come back and sit on the throne in the temple of God in Jerusalem. That is why they are Jealous of us.

Catholic Church

Origin: Christian Pentecostal foundation

Prime Philosophy: Catholicism

Founder: Jesus Christ

Founding Date: around 30 AD

Church Structure: ecclesiastical hierarchy of bishops, priests and deacons

Mission: bring the message of Christ to all the ends of the earth, and call all persons to baptism to become children of God.

Religious Doctrines

God: Trinitarian Father, Son and Holy Spirit

Sacraments: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation, Reconciliation, Holy Orders, Holy Matrimony, Anointing of the Sick

Salvation: Justified through Grace alone, Saved by Christ alone

Scriptures: 73 books, supernaturally inspired

Dogmatic Origins: Holy Scripture, Holy Tradition

Church: Baptized Christians united in the mystical body of Christ expressed through the Eucharist and unified as the church catholic under the pope, the successor of St. Peter.

Theological Beliefs

Creation: Man was created by God with a soul; Adam was the first man; the possible validity of the theory of evolution of man has not yet been discounted.

Man’s State: Fallen state due to original sin

Sin: Original sin is derived from Adam’s fall and creates human concupiscence; the tendency toward evil. Personal sin takes two forms: mortal sin, which destroys grace in a person’s soul and venial sin which weakens a person and increases temptation.

Grace: Sanctifying grace is brought through baptism, which purifies a person’s soul, forgives all sin and makes a person a child of God. Baptism is necessary to purge original sin. The sacrament of Reconciliation forgives mortal and venial personal sins and restores sanctifying grace lost through mortal sin. All other sacraments (especially Eucharist) increase redeeming grace.

Redemption and Salvation: redemption is a free gift available to all

Justification: Justification is wrought by the Holy Spirit through baptism’s saving grace. Faith, hope and charity justify and sanctify a baptized Christian.

Repentance: the Holy Spirit moves us to repentance and conversion

Sacraments

Baptism: Trinitarian baptism; the baptized person becomes a new creature in Christ and receives the free gift of sanctifying grace wrought by Christ’s sacrificial death.

Eucharist: the real presence of Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity under the guise of bread and wine, unites the Catholic Church in an intimate relationship with Christ and brings the grace needed to live as a faithful believer.

Confirmation: The confirmed person receives the Holy Spirit through the sacrament and is more perfectly united with Christ as a faithful believer and disciple of Christ.

Reconciliation: Sacrament instituted by Christ for the forgiveness of sin paid for by Christ’s sacrificial death on the cross.

Anointing of the Sick: Instituted by Christ to confer a special grace for the sick and aging.

Holy Orders: sacrament of apostolic ministry, which confers the special grace needed for the Christian ministerial priesthood.

Holy Matrimony: a sacrament between two baptized Christians, which unites a man and woman in one flesh. The grace of matrimony bring the spouses together to live a more unified Christian life and continue God’s call to bear children who are baptized into his family.

• John S

I know.. interesting isn't it.

I kinda see it as "revisionist history" -- where a new group comes in and slightly "revises" history to suit their own agenda or legitimize their origin. We usually see this when new governments or dictators come into power, but I think it has happened to a lesser extent in regards to how many Protestant Christians view Catholicism.

Their Christian roots came FROM Catholicism yet it seems many ignore this fact OR use it simply to turn around and somehow say that the source is invalid.

So at the very least..those who say that are ignoring history, at the very worst, those who say that are attempting to re-write history.

They are misinformed , as a few of your answers show. Catholics are born again in baptism. We follow Jesus's instructions to the letter

Because Fundies don't like the idea that they have to do anything but believe.

Leaves them free to sin, with Jesus doing the heavy work of dying for their sins.

Catholics believe you must have faith in Christ, and try to live a Christ-like life to get to heaven.

Both believe the "If you're not with me, you're against me" philosophy.