Today is World AIDS Day; has your spirituality been affected/challenged by this world crisis, and in what way?

It is a day of reflection. These past 30 years of the AIDS epidemic have seen a lot of questions being asked; some have wondered if there can be a spiritual tie-in to this crisis, and such a pondering has been expressed both positively, and, sadly, very negatively. Many people have questioned their stand on... show more It is a day of reflection. These past 30 years of the AIDS epidemic have seen a lot of questions being asked; some have wondered if there can be a spiritual tie-in to this crisis, and such a pondering has been expressed both positively, and, sadly, very negatively. Many people have questioned their stand on issues because of AIDS, and there has been great compassion too, although this still is something there needs to be more of.

On a personal note, I can say that I have seen family members soften their hard line religious views; when your own family is affected, something that you thought of as only happening to *someone else* becomes personal, and has a human face, a familiar face. On the other hand, some family members have responded with such remarkable hatred, all in the name of their religious beliefs. This may sound strange, but those family members who have exploded(this is the only appropriate word for their actions) in hatred, I have discovered in myself some compassion for; I feel sorry for them that they are so chained to their dogma that they cannot feel, not even for their own family. When you think about it, their state really is the more pitiable, by far.

Anyway, this is a day of reflection. How has AIDS affected or challenged your spirituality? How have you personally seen people respond to this crisis, and have you seen people actually grow and embrace their better selves because of it?

Thank you for your answers.
Update: Fireball, I would hardly expect a compassionate answer out of you; you have a disease far worse than AIDS....you have terminal ignorance.
Update 2: (((((((Gorgeous Tx)))))))
Update 3: (((((((Devil's reject)))))))

Markyy, that is truly beautiful; thank you so much for that.
(((((((Markyy)))))))
Update 4: (((((((Moon)))))))