Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

I am young at the moment, and I want to explain to my parents that I wish to join the military?

I have 5 more years to make my decision and I'm asking A LOT of questions about joining the Marines. I am 13 at the moment and I have my mind made up that I really want to when I turn 18. But it can change within 5 years. I've talked to my Mom about what if my sister or I joined because I'm really interested in the military and wars. She said no, she wouldn't want us to do that. I'm scared to bring up the subject and that she'd say I couldn't do it. I know she just wants me to know that I'll be making the right choice.

Best Answer

Well in all reality once you are 18 there is not a thing she can say or do that will actually prevent the military from allowing you to enlist. Not saying she'd be happy but she can't stop you.

For now the best thing I can suggest is load up on useful elective classes at school and get as high of a grade as you can in each class. Speak with your school councellor and ask him/her what classes would be most beneficial towards the military.

Once you are in high school you may be able to join the ROTC program if the high school has one. Also they frequently have military recruiters come in to speak with interested teens and also to administer the ASVAB which is a test they use to determine what branch of the military would be a good fit as well as which career path within that branch.

If you school councellor blows you off and doesn't give what you feel is good advice you can always look up the phone number to the local recruitment centers. Decide what branch you may want to be in by looking at their websites and call their center and ask them directly what classes would be helpful in a future career with them. Also keep in mind that it will benefit you much more to spend a few years in college first. The better education you have before enlistment usually equates into officer training and better pay scale then if you went in on you 18th birthday with or without a highschool diploma or GED.

an FYI don't give them your phone number, last name, or address. The recruiter will call you CONSTANTLY even if you aren't old enough to enlist yet. I was required to take the ASVAB test in high school for a business class and they gave my info to the recruiters. They called non stop from the time I was 15 to 21 even though I told them repeatedly I was not interested in joining the military.

I know how your mother feels. My only daughter started talking about it when she was 15 years old and now she is 19, in the Army, stationed in Germany. She talked about it for three years making it clear that she knew that she had other options. She researched on occupations she might be interested in and presented it to me and told me what she thought about them. She also had the opportunity to talk to people and work with them to get a little experience of what it would be like to go to work in a particular occupational field before making her decision. I hoped that she would decide to go to school but she decided to join the Army. After knowing she researched her options before making her decision, all I could do is tell her that I will stand by her decision. I suggest that you do the same and show your mother that the military is not the only thing that you are interested in, she might listen. Good Luck

Source(s): My daughter got her information from the military recruitment center and by talking to other military people in the community and people in that were in occupation fields that she was interested in.

My dear, the decision is always yours. You have 5 years to stick to or change your mind. My father spent 20 years in the Air Force and serve in the Vietnam War. I went into the Navy 3 years after he retired and after I graduated from high school. It was quite interesting and informative. I met a lot of interesting personalities and gained a career after I left the service.

I have 5 daughters. My fourth daughter decided that she wanted to join the Army a few months ago. I was against it because its a different type of service from when I served. What scared me the most was when she said that she was taking law enforcement in the Military Police.

But my daughter taught me a lesson. She put my mind at ease and informed me that at least she wasn't running with the same bad crowd that she had been running with as a teenager. Most of her friends are married or living with their abusive boyfriends with babies or still strung out on drugs. My daughter thanked me for teaching her tough love and sending her to a mentors home. Most of the instructors there are still in contact with her and advise her when she feels that she has a problem. But mostly, she told me that if she didn't do this she wouldn't have earned my respect by trying to depend on me even she knows that I'm always here to help.

It not only put a smile on my face, but this put me at ease. She was sworn in on September 11, 2008 and She will be back to visit at Christmas. But she will graduate in February. But my little girl (Pooh Bear) started crying and told me, "I'm going to miss you, Mommy!"

I told her that I loved her and I would miss her too.

The same will be the same for you and your mother.

God Bless you

Source(s): Navy Veteran, Former Air Force Brat, and Proud Army Mother

If you want to go in the military then you should. Once you are an adult you are in charge of your life and you should do what would make you happy.