Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane ORIGIN?

Where was this first used? i hear it everywhere.. i want to know it's origin...

• J.S.
    Favorite Answer

Superman

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): sky bird plane origin: https://biturl.im/n6SVX

I first heard it in the Superman TV series of the 1950s, starring George Reeves. It was part of the opening of every episode. First the narrator starts with this intro:

"Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound."

Then you see a crowd of people pointing at the sky, and four different voices deliver these lines:

"Look, up in the sky!"

"It's a bird."

"It's a plane".

"It's Superman!"

[Then the narrator voice-over continues:]

"Yes, it's Superman! Strange visitor from another planet who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way."

That's from memory. I may have some details wrong. I used to recite a version that stayed with the original right up to the last three words, then substituted "corn on the cob" instead of "the American way."

REVISED. Thanks, unodrummer, for pointing out the omission!

• Dan D5 years agoReport

It actually appears in the 1941 Fleischer Brothers Superman cartoons. http://saratogaconcepts.com/superman.html

You left out "strong as a freight train," and "faster than a speeding bullet."

No, not strong as a freight train, but "More powerful than a locomotive" as I recall.

Informative discussion, just what I was searching for.

"Letterman" on Electric Company!