Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What if Obama was Mexican American?

If Obamas name was Jose Sanchez Martinez Obamo, do you think he still would have won the election? its a valid question being a Mexican American myself.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Interesting question... I think SOME people would of persecuted him for having a Mexican name, calling him a Mayan conquistador who wants nothing else but to cut off their hearts and offer it at a sacrificial object to the Gods. I mean, if their are calling him Muslim now because his middle name is Hussein, Jose Sanchez Maritinez Obamo would be no better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

One would hope that he would still be elected. Although, race may have played a small role in election, I don't think Americans are that shallow. There are more Mexican Americans in this country then any other race with the exception of Whites. I believe that Obama got elected because of his political views and the understanding and need for change. Whether he was black, white, hispanic, asian, or native american, he is well spoken and spoke to everyone. America needed someone like him, now lets hope he makes on his promises for change.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obama won in spite of being black, living much of his formative years in another country and having a middle name of Hussein.

I don't think anything other ethnic group could top that.

Obama won based on his suave & charming personality. If he was born in Edcouch, Texas to a mother who just crossed the border, I don't think that would be any more of a problem that what he already has overcome.

• 1 decade ago

Yes if he had the same policies.

Look if someone named "Barack Hussein Obama" can win a presidential election 7 years after 9/11, I think anyone can win.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think Obama would still have won. People are very tired of the Republican party at the moment.

Add: Thank you, Thomas. I abhor the hyphenated American labels.

• Noah H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Say what? I thought O'Bama was Irish! Wow, the things you learn on the internet!

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the next president [after obama] it will be a Mexican's Woman

so get ready America

PS in 2025 if you want keep your job you better learn to speak spanish and chinese and take your patriotis into your ******* ***

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he won with a name that sounds oddly similar to "osama". I dont see how a mexican name could have handicapped him any more than that.

I dont care what his name is as long as its not "bush" or "mccain" or "palin".

What I wonder is.... would mexicans elect a black president if he had been a mexican citizen?

• Char
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

LMFAO then there would be 50 other guys with the same name :]

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.