LOO S asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

is schizophrenia genetic? Is bipolar disorder genetic? If either of them are, are there tests that can show if?

it was passed to a child or not?

Favorite Answer

Dolphin is completely wrong about schizophrenia. Genetics is the "fad" in modern science and there is no definitive link between schizophrenia and heredity. The cause(s) of schizophrenia (which is not a single disorder but a spectrum of them) is not known to medical science so there can not be any test genetic or physical for schizophrenia. Diagnosis of one of the kinds of schizophrenia is a purely subjective opinion of a psychiatrist.

Look up "schizophrenia" in a Yahoo! web search. Wikipedia has a good summary. Also read, John Horgan;"The Undiscovered Mind" how the human brain defies replication, medication and explanation: Free Press, N.Y. NY, 1999 to learn how little science knows about the mind and brain.

Stop worrying you're ok!

Source(s): A 76 yr old schizophrenia paranoia patient diagnosed over 40 yrs ago who has been able to live a fairly normal life due to the TLC of family, friends, doctors and nurses. Med's. do help cope with the symptoms but do not prevent them.

Yes they are genetic. Yes there are tests. But the tests are not cheap. You can't get a kit down at the CVS Pharmacy.

Both have to do with regulation of seratonin levels in the brain. This is measurable by CAT scan and by biopsy.

The human genome has been analysed well enough so that there have been site identified for schizoprenia suseptibility and bipolar suseptibility, but as these syndromes are multifactorial in most cases, the culture and family environment can be quite important in deciding if these genes express themselves.

Schizoprenia has as its main feature the ability to tolerate two utterly contradictory ideas in the mind at the same time. The word itself means split mind. Ordinarily two contradictory ideas cannot be comfortably held in the same mind -- they cause cognitive dissonance. With schizophrenics there is no cognitive dissonance -- it's OK for both of those ideas to be there even though they are 100% contradictory to each other.

It sound like a logical problem. Actually, amazingly enough it is genetic. Genes can determine how we reason -- or more to the point in this instance -- if we reason.

More amazing is that gene pools containing a high incidence of the schizoprenic gene are fairly localized and historically interbreeding in the USA. The Appalachian Region contains a high incidence of persons whose intermarriage has and continues to reinforce this gene.

This does not mean each and every person you meet there is a character out of "Deliverance", it's just a statistical reality resulting from 400 years of a population in relative isolation.

Seratonin levels can be adjusted with drugs, and they work very well. The trick is convincing the patient to take them.

Bipolar in my view is not worth medicating -- I never promised you a rose garden. I say, the adjustment should be made by the people who care for the bipolar person -- care for like in familty and love. Being bipolar is not a bad thing. Many geniuses including Mozart and Einstein were bipolar. Just accept that not everybody has to be on an even keel all the time.

Schizos should take their meds because alogical thinking can cause harm to them or others.

Hope this helps you.

Source(s): These are problems I've dealt with professionally and personally. I have provided legal counsel to schizoprenic people. I am marginally bipolar myself.

They both have a genetic link, but it's not a guarantee. Someoe can also get bipolar or schizophrenia with no family history at all. There is no genetic test for it, since it's not entirely determined by genetics, and it doesn't appear until early adulthood usually.

They both have genetic factors that may make someone prone to the illness. To say they (the children of) will have it would be a bit of a stretch, but to suggest they would, would be completely within range. I don't know if there is a genetic test in present day, but I will tell you that having one done could have effects on your health insurance and job opportunities in the future.

Both are genetic (at least, a tendency towards them is). But scientists don't have enough information yet to have a gene test.

Uhm, it can be hereditary for sure.

I'm not sure about testing though.

Both my parents have it, and they have 3 children. None of us have it, luckily. But there's definitely a large chance, of passing it to children, if 1 or both parents have it.

yes bipolar is i don't know about schizophrenia?