Anonymous

Why do some people assume that every black woman has a weave?

I have never wore a weave a day in my life, do people think that blacks can't grow hair or something?

Favorite Answer

For the obvious reason that many black women DO wear weaves and the ones who don't relax their hair. I think the last time I checked around 70% of black American women relaxed their hair. I don't know what the percentage is for weaves.

Excessive hair relaxing can indeed lead to hair loss, which is why many turn to weaves or lace front wigs to add length.

As a result of this fact, many people assume black women generally wear fake hair, especially after Tyra came out a few years ago and said that she wore a weave. If Tyra does it, all black women must do it right?

The secret: Black women have to stop frying their hair. Our hair is already dry and brittle and when we apply heat to it every day and harsh chemicals to it ever 4-6 weeks, of course it's going to break off more than grow. I grew my hair out by keeping it under braided styles mostly, and trying not to comb it as often. Combing too often breaks dry and brittle hair as well. Also, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

• Aznb

I know right, like white people don't wear weave. I get asked all the time who does my weave? BUT get this, its ALWAYS the black people who ask me that. I don't wear weaves, some people are ignorant.

that's the common stereotype that we can't grow hair. my mom is pure african and i swear on my life, she can almost sit on her hair. people always think she's something else, and always think its fake and goes as far to ask "can we touch it?" she's freakin black!!

there's nothing wrong with weave...if its warn right and doesn't look like a freakin decoration on their heads. but bottom line, black women can grow hair. just not as easy as white people who grow hair every 5 seconds

• I would rather like to know hwy people act like weave is such a bad thing.

My mums hair is gorgoues its red...black,sliver,gold and everyfin and her hair is three textures away frm looking like caucasion hair becuz its naturally shiny and long...but maybe it is doe to the fact her granny was asian....but i think its her african genes that made them so strong.

she had long hair like asians when she was younger but coming to britain ruined her hair.

also my hair naturally long like asians and ppl have often asked whether its fake and gtn jealous.

i admit i have worn weaves but i love my natural hair to bits....its liked 4 different colours...(dyed) love it. just gna grow it again ;)

but 2mz my mums gna use extensions and plait my hair....so it can grow back whilst in the plaits...

:) nuff sed!

i know right? Dominicans wear them too.EVERYONE DOES. paris hilton etc. They think black people just have short "nappy" hair. What exactly is nappy hair?

Not all people assume this, I don't wear one & could care less about what people think.