mac asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

Problems with conflicting census information.?

I have several problems with conflicting census information regarding the states in which people were born because the 1900 census threw me. Can you help because this is a mess.

I have the information from the following but only the census image from 1870 to see what was actually written.

This is what I have been able to gather:

I am following John Presley Cox who is listed on the 1870 Alabama census Notasulga District, Macon, Alabama.

In 1870, his father is listed as being from SC.

1. In the 1900 Alabama census, his father is listed as being from NC instead of SC.

2. In the 1900 Alabama census, Irene's mother is listed as being from SC instead of GA.

3. I went to Familysearch.com and it has all of the children as being born in GA and not AL. I did however find Emmet Andrew Cox twice on the IGI index and One states his POB as Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama and the other cited him as being "Of" Cobb, GA.

5. Irene's name is confusing as well. The 1900 census has her as Irene J Cox (Gracia J Cox). I don't know where Gracia comes from.

1870 Alabama census - census image - Notasulga District, Macon, Alabama - 14 July 1870

Father's Mother's

POB POB

William Cox 40 SC Farmer SC SC

Ann E. Cox 30 GA Wife

John P 16 AL Farm hand SC GA

--------------------------------------------

1880 Alabama census - Bethel, Lee, Alabama

Father's Mother's

POB POB

John P Cox 26 AL Head Farmer SC GA

Irene J Cox 27 GA Wife Keeping House GA GA

William P Cox 2 AL Son AL GA

J Marvin Cox 5M AL Son AL GA

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1900 Alabama census - Tuskegee, Macon,AL

Lists fathers birthplace as NC instead of SC

Lists Irene's mother's birthplace as SC instead of GA

Father Mother

John P Cox 46 AL Head Farmer NC GA

b. Jan 1854 Married in 1876

Irene J Cox (Gracia J Cox) b. Feb 1853

47 GA Wife Keeping House GA SC

William P Cox (b. Jan 1878) 22 AL Son AL GA

John Marvin Cox (b. Jan 1880) 20 AL Son AL GA

Emmett A Cox (b. Dec 1885) 14 AL Son AL GA

--------------------------------------------------------------

Familysearch.com - Shows children as being born in Georgia instead of Alabama

John Presley Cox b. 12 Apr 1854 from Macon, AL d. 1 Aug 1932 buried in Tuskegee, , , Alabama

Irene Jane Slayton b.11 Feb 1852 Cobb, GA Died: 1 Aug 1913 Place: Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama

William Presley Cox (b. Jan 1878) Cobb, GA

John Marvin Cox 2 Jan 1880 Cobb, GA Died: 2 Sep 1946 Place: Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama

Emmett Andrew Cox (b. 11 Dec 1885) Place: Cobb, GA Buried: 8 Nov 1940 Place: Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama

IGI Record#1 = b. 11 DEC 1885 Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama died 8 Nov 1940

father : John P Cox Mother: Irene J Slaton

Favorite Answer

Welcome to the wonderful world of genealogy. If I get consistent birthplaces three times in a row, I'm flabbergasted. I have a John Wesley "Smith" who appears as

Wesley John

John Wesley

JW

JM

Wesley

I have a fellow who came from that corner of Ohio where West Virginia and Kentucky are a stone's throw away; he says ie was born in each one on different censues.

If the family is in a state in 1860, and in the same state in 1870, it's a good bet that's where the child born in 1865 was born, usually; sometimes they move west, go bust and come home with their tails between their legs.

All you can do is hope for other sources and make educated guesses.

• camp

you'll discover many blunders in census archives. Misspelled names, incorrect a lengthy time period or delivery dates and, as you've discovered, incorrect places of delivery. undergo in recommendations - someone replied those questions. per chance it grow to be meant to be the precise of domicile, yet did the census taker opt to go back back later if the precise of domicile grow to be out?