i would like to know if i can legally drop a last name from a hyphenated last name. ex: name-name2 i want name?

my son is about to be two years old. i only put the hyphenated part of his last name on the birth certificate because i was scared if i didn't my step dad would do something mean to me so now i would like to remove it since i am no longer around him. i tried to fill out a paper and send it to austin, tx(our capital) but they denied my request. do i need a lawyer? my uncle changed his whole last name so why can't i just drop the hyphenated last name and just keep my sons dads last name?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Yes, you can do that. It costs about $60 to do so. Just go file the paperwork with the court. It's REALLY fast and easy to do. I'd bet you didn't do the paperwork correctly - which is normal. It's always advisable to get an attorney when contemplating ANY legal proceeding.

  • 1 decade ago

    You can make any name change you want, child or adult, as long as it is not to defraud someone. It has always been that way in the USA.

    However the problem today is due to computers being so literal in what you put in, it could cause you problems down the road.

    The best way is to go to court and get it changed legally so you have a piece of paper to prove the name change should a problem come up in the future.

    You can do it without a lawyer. Go down to the Clerk of Courts. They probably have a simple form you can fill out to do it and if no one objects, it is a done deal within 30 days.

  • 1 decade ago

    Cyanne's info is dead-on. Just FYI most attorneys would charge $200-300 and in most states it involes running an advertisement in your local paper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.