Kellee asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is there such thing as Big Boned?

Is there such thing as big boned?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Generally we tend to use the term "big boned" as a nice way of saying "overweight" however, there are people who are perfectly healthy who have larger bones than others (who are also perfectly healthy). Some people are more gracile (thin bones) than others who are more robust (thick).

Here's a website to point you in the right direction:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Overweight-or-Big-Boned?...

It's not the best resource out there, but it gives you an idea.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

This is a very misunderstood phrase and a lot of people will deny you can be be big boned, but if you have looked at people's wrists or ankles they can vary in size by quite a lot, even people who are the same height and gender. Also some people can have broad shoulders and a wide pelvis and others can have narrow shoulders and small pelvis. Also bone density varies two people could have the same frame size but one person could have very brittle bones that don't weigh much and the other person could have very dense bones that weight a lot. So yes I believe there is such thing as big boned. I think the people who say it's just a polite way of saying someone is 'fat' and yes some people do use it as an excuse for being overweight or obese. But if people they actually did their research they may find there is more truth to the phrase 'big boned' than they intially thought. Perhaps the better phrase to use is 'large framed' or 'heavy framed'.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is a very misunderstood phrase and a lot of people will deny you can be be big boned, but if you have looked at people's wrists or ankles they can vary in size by quite a lot, even people who are the same height and gender. Also some people can have broad shoulders and a wide pelvis and others can have narrow shoulders and small pelvis. Also bone density varies two people could have the same frame size but one person could have very brittle bones that don't weigh much and the other person could have very dense bones that weight a lot.

So yes I believe there is such thing as big boned. I think the people who say it's just a polite way of saying someone is 'fat' and yes some people do use it as an excuse for being overweight or obese. But if people they actually did their research they may find there is more truth to the phrase 'big boned' than they intially thought. Perhaps the better phrase to use is 'large framed' or 'heavy framed'.

• Gemma
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, there is.

It just means people with a larger body frame because they have bigger "bones". They can still lose weight, however they will look still quite big, but still fit and skinny. Shorter people usually have a smaller body frame and vice versa to tall people.

You can have a small, medium or large frame. If you put your index finger around your wrist and can touch your thumb you are NOT big boned, but if they dont touch you ARE big boned. And if they ALMOST just meet, but not quite you have a medium frame.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah, someone with thicker bones is never going to have stick legs because of their build. Even if they become anorexic they will just have protruding chest and collar bones etc. Some people are build with much finer bones.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yup. there is.

big boned pretty much means someone has a large frame. and by nature, everyone comes in a different frame. some people are small, some people are medium, some people are large. and big boned doesnt neccesarily mean fat either. big boned is just your bone structure and how youre built.

• 1 decade ago

i think so, because i am big-boned unfortunately

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.