Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

Has anyone heard of the Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)?

Would this be the right surgery for coronary heart failure? My boyfriend has it and his doctor suggests he gets surgery because he starting to become terminal. Has this been successful for other patients who have this disease? Is it true you may have to be in a wheelchair during recovery?

His doctor also suggested Heart laser surgery for his other option. Its called TMRtansmyocardial Revascularization). ut he said this one hasnt been tested? My bf is very confused and scared so what do u suggest and what surgery is better for the Coronary heart failure disease.

• Power
    Best Answer

I don't know anything about it but will give you a star so more people will see your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronary_artery_bypas...

Basically what a CABG is, is a bypass. You may typically hear of a triple or quadrupal bypass. It is when they harvest veins out of the patients leg and attach it to the heart for the hearts new circulation to feed the heart itself. They do this when the arteries on the heart are to clogged for blood to flow thru or if they are unable to put a shunt in during a heart cath. That is the traditional route for this type of patient. The TMR is very new and maybe getting a second opinon from another cardiologist is the best road to take to make this decision. Find out what the failure rate is for this procedure. Best of luck.

If his diagnosis is heart failure, it means his heart is weak, getting weaker, and struggling to provide blood throughout the body. Better circulation might help, but will not ovecome the weakness. At least more of his heart will receive blood.

Has he had an angiogram yet to map his blockages ? Without one, they may be sawing his chest open to find he has no blockages in need of the bypasses.

In my case they did an angiogram, and decided to do 3 bypasses. But they would have liked to have put in more, but I had so many one after another, there was no point. I fortunately had excellent collatralization, so I have not yet had HF set in, though it is expected.

Has your boyfriend made all the other recommended changes in lifestyle ? With heart failure, he may be confined to bed. But without some kind of activity to slowly strengthen the heart, it just gets weaker and weaker.

Exercise simply means movement appropriate to his condition that will eventually tire him, be it in 15 seconds, 15 minutes, or 50 minutes. But strengthen him in the long run. I've need to do 4 cardiac rehabs. My Dad died of heart failure at age 87.

How old are you that you never heard of coronary bypass? A million of them are performed each year. Your boyfriend has heart disease and knows nothing about his condition? Get off this forum and look up coronary bypass and anything else you are in the dark about. Hurry, do it now!

apparently sometime in the past your bf has had a heart attack and suffered loss of circulation to parts of his heart. A CABG will perhaps improve this situation. But it's a long shot. Most people die from heart failure. I would suggest that he put his trust in his heart surgeon and pray for the best.

Source(s): RN
  • Noreen

Prayers; truly and really fetch the grace of the lord and the god of self; for helping the self; but they do so only; if they are performed truthfully with the real knowledge, power and ability of; either participating or following or performing the righteous acts of devotion, meditation and worship; by self; religiously with the real faith, focus and religion of god and lord alone for mankind in self; instead of those of self alone for god and the lord of self. Any body can pray for any body; truthfully as said above; but for ensuring that the grace is delivered; the other for whom such prayer is being performed; also needs to be either a participant in acts of such prayers; or a follower of the practises of the acts of such prayer; earlier in the life of self. If the seeker of the grace is neither as said above; then the praying person should have the ability of intelligence of the skills and talent of that knowledge and power; which can deliver the virtues of the righteous acts of devotion, meditation and worship; to the seeker; for ensuring that such seeker also earns the grace of the god and the lord in his self. Such ability of intelligence of the skills and talent of such knowledge and power; are rearely found in very few people only;