Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is Christianity?

I have to do a paper on Christianity for Religion Class.

I am not Christian, Im Agnostic like my family

But what do they believe in. what are tradtions.

rituals, everything basically. i need to know everything

a person needs to know about Christianity

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Truth
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Christ") is a monotheistic religion[1] centered on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in the New Testament.[2]

Its followers, known as Christians,[3] believe that Jesus is the only begotten[4][5] Son of God and the Messiah (Christ) prophesied in the Hebrew Bible (the part of scripture common to Christianity and Judaism). To Christians, Jesus Christ is a teacher, the model of a virtuous life, the revealer of God, as well as an incarnation of God, and most importantly the savior of humanity who suffered, died, and was resurrected to bring about salvation from sin.[6] Christians maintain that Jesus ascended into heaven, and most denominations teach that Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead, granting everlasting life to his followers. Christians call the message of Jesus Christ the Gospel ("good news") and hence label the written accounts of his ministry as gospels.

Like Judaism and Islam, Christianity is classified as an Abrahamic religion (see also Judeo-Christian).[7][8][9] Christianity began as a Jewish sect[10][11] in the eastern Mediterranean, quickly grew in size and influence over a few decades, and by the 4th century had become the dominant religion within the Roman Empire. During the Middle Ages, most of the remainder of Europe was Christianized, with Christians also being a (sometimes large) religious minority in the Middle East, North Africa, and parts of India.[12] Following the Age of Discovery, through missionary work and colonization, Christianity spread to the Americas and the rest of the world.

Christianity has played a prominent role in the shaping of Western civilization at least since the 4th century.[13] As of the early 21st century, Christianity has between 1.5 billion[14][15] and 2.1 billion adherents,[16] representing about a quarter to a third of the world's population.[17]

Contents [hide]

1 Beliefs

1.1 Creeds

1.2 Jesus Christ

1.3 Death and resurrection of Jesus

1.4 Salvation

1.5 Trinity

1.5.1 Trinitarians

1.5.2 Non-trinitarians

1.6 Scriptures

1.6.1 Roman Catholic interpretation

1.6.2 Protestant interpretation

1.7 Afterlife and Eschaton

2 Worship

2.1 Sacraments

2.2 Liturgical calendar

2.3 Symbols

3 History and origins

3.1 Early Church and Christological Councils

3.2 Early Middle Ages

3.3 High and Late Middle Ages

3.4 Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation

3.5 Christianity in the Modern Era

4 Demographics

5 Denominations

5.1 Roman Catholicism and other Catholic groups

5.2 Eastern Orthodoxy

5.3 Oriental Orthodoxy

5.4 Protestantism

5.5 Restorationism

6 Ecumenism

7 See also

8 Notes

9 References

10 Further reading

11 External links

Beliefs

The Sermon On the Mount by Carl Heinrich Bloch, Danish painter, d. 1890.Wikisource has original text related to this article:

Apostles CreedWikisource has original text related to this article:

Nicene CreedIn spite of important differences of interpretation and opinion, Christians share a set of beliefs that they hold as essential to their faith.[18]

Creeds

Main article: Creeds

Creeds (from Latin credo meaning "I believe") are concise doctrinal statements or confessions, usually of religious beliefs. They began as baptismal formulas and were later expanded during the Christological controversies of the fourth and fifth centuries to become statements of faith.

The Apostles Creed (Symbolum Apostolorum) was developed between the second and ninth centuries. It is the most popular creed used in worship by Western Christians. Its central doctrines are those of the Trinity and God the Creator. Each of the doctrines found in this creed can be traced to statements current in the apostolic period. The creed was apparently used as a summary of Christian doctrine for baptismal candidates in the churches of Rome.[19] Since the Apostles Creed is still unaffected by the later Christological divisions, its statement of the articles of Christian faith remain largely acceptable to most Christian denominations:

belief in God the Father, Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Holy Spirit

the death, descent into hell, resurrection, and ascension of Christ

the holiness of the Church and the communion of saints

Christ's second coming, the Day of Judgement and salvation of the faithful.

The Nicene Creed, largely a response to Arianism, was formulated at the Councils of Nicaea and Constantinople in 325 and 381 respectively[20][21] and ratified as the universal creed of Christendom by the Council of Ephesus in 431.[22]

The Chalcedonian Creed, developed at the Council of Chalcedon in 451,[23] though rejected by the Oriental Orthodox Churches[24], taught Christ "to be acknowledged in two natures, inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably": one divine and one human, and that both natures are perfect but are nevertheless perfectly united into one person.[25]

The Athanasian Creed, received in the western Church as havin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First and foremost, Christianity is a man made belief system.

"Christianity...[has become] the most perverted system that ever shone on man....Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and imposters led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus." --- Thomas Jefferson

“The son-ship of Jesus Christ is the greatest fiction of human history.” (Lord Bishop of Canterbury Commission, the Spiritual Head of England, 1910.)

“The son-ship of Jesus Christ, the Trinity, the blood sacrifice of the lamb of God, atonement are not the teachings of Jesus. These are all inventions of Saint Paul who never really met Jesus.” (Hastings Rashdall, The Theory of Good and Evil)

"Initially there were 34 gospels that were compiled by word of mouth. Four were chosen for unclear reasons and 30 were left behind [burned]. (Encyclopedia Britannica)

“There is strong reason to believe that St. Paul fabricated the belief system of Christianity from Zoroastrian mythology. In order to hide Paul’s plaigerism… Christians burned the library of Alexandria in 390 A.D. Books in that library kept Mithra’s original story of what Pauline Doctrine is an almost exact copy. (George Sarton , Introduction to History of Sciences) ,

Although Nontrinitarian beliefs continued to multiply, and among some people (such as the Lombards in the West) it was dominant for hundreds of years afterward, the Trinitarians gained the immense power of the Roman Empire. Nontrinitarians typically argue that the primitive beliefs of the Christianity were systematically suppressed (often to the point of death), and that the historical record, perhaps also including the Scriptures of the New Testament, was altered as a consequence.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Christiananswers.com

a great site and alot of help from comparing religions, to many other questions answered

Christianity comes from the word Christ means the Anointed one Messiah from Hebrew, Cristos in the Greek

the best way to begin this paper is with trying a prayer, based on the promise that Jesus died for our sins even one lie and asks to come into our heart and be our friend.

"Help me with this paper Jesus show me that you are real, I am sorry for even one lie, and any other sin, come into my heart and be my best friend, amen."

I was once agnostic born Jewish and kinda believed that there was a God but couldnt figure out for sure.

then begin reading the book of Acts for the story of Christianity, how it began and continued and today continues too.

then day by day read some and back to the book before it the book of John and read right through the New Testament.

If you didnt try that prayer go back and write it down and say it tonight before bed, it will put a wonderfull feeling in you and then think "Jesus is my shepherd, he takes care of all I need." Psalm 23

and a Psalm a day will keep you happy, works for me too. As daily when i pray i rededicate my life to Jesus, "Jesus help my mind and heart to keep you first today, and help me to not let anything or anyone take my peace and joy in you away, amen

David in the song amazing grace and happiness, with prayer for you too

• 1 decade ago

Christianity can be defined as the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A follower of Jesus and his biblical teachings.A relationship not a religion.A new birth is a must.

Without his indwelling Spirit,we are none of His.

A non-Christian still belongs to the devil no matter

how good or bad they may be.

These are not my thoughts or opinions.This is

what God says in his word.I agree with God.

Source(s): bible...read John chapter three!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You see there's this big book about it called the Bible. If you need to know everything about it you will be working a long time.

• LKC
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Don't look on here, what you'll get is thousands of conflicting answers depending on what people believe (Christianity, Catholicism, Protestant, Baptist, etcetcetc they all have different stuff.)

Go check Wikipedia or something.

Remember, Yahoo! is not responsible for accuracy of answers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The belief in Jesus Christ as Savior of the world.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

Look up Einstein's email. Seriously you might try google; Joseph Smith

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.