How soon after a large deposit can you apply for a home loan?

We recently took a big chunk from our 401k for the downpayment on a house. How long after we deposit that into savings do we have to wait until we can apply for a home loan?

I have yet to actually take it out. We wanted to pull enough (not a loan) for 15% down. I didnt know if I should take it out now, and if I did how long I would have to wait before applying.

Best Answer

There are 2 approaches you can take here.

You can apply right now in which case you will be required to provide a paper trail for the deposit or you can wait for 60 days to "season" the funds. It really doesn't matter which way go unless you have a loan from your 401K and the terms of your repayment adversely affect your debt to income ratio. Let me know if you need more info or help.

Edit to responses. It is perfectly acceptable per FHA guide lines to borrow from a retirement account for down payment and closing costs. Sourcing and seasoning funds for down payment and closing costs is necessary to determine that the borrower did not take out an additional loan without reporting the repayment terms to the lender for inclusion is the calculation of the persons debt to income ratio.

Source(s): I'm a mortgage banker/broker licensed in all 50 states
  • Andrea

Did you actually withdraw money from your 401K or just take a loan on it? Either way has its own consequences. If you withdrew money, you are going to owe income tax and early withdrawal penalties on those funds. If you took a loan, that will affect how much of a mortgage you will qualify for.

You will need to disclose to your lender where the money came from, regardless of the way you obtained the money.

Good luck.

First call your credit card agencies to get your activity cost diminished. in case you threaten to cancel the cardboard they're going to immediately grant to diminish the cost. next circulate credit card balances to a diverse credit card you have already got which delivers deals for transfering balances (like 0% financing on all stability transfers). as quickly as you're right down to a million credit card or basically some better than the minmum each and each month. additionally supply up employing credit enjoying cards all jointly until debt is 0. this implies do no longer purchase your lunch, consume out in any respect, or maybe purchase coffee or snacks. do no longer carry any funds around and limit your self to basically paying for gas to your motor vehicle to get to artwork or subway tickets to get to artwork. Take public transportation in case you could (bus, subway). carry your lunch to artwork. purchase a small volume of foodstuff on the shop and plan your week in this challenge. Dont purchase any new outfits or shoes until your debt is long gone or very almost all long gone. start up being strict along with your spending behavior and repay the credit enjoying cards as much as you could when you pay your lease, warmth, and so on.

You are borrowing your down payment, which lenders don't like to see. That 401(k) loan will detract from your approvable mortgage limit.