In trangenics in crops - some ethical concerns?

k so i have a few questions. while i was searching around for Ethics in transgenics in crops ( if you have any please post in your answer)

there was one i needed help expanding on. its "scientist' are concerned because of the timpact on humans and the enviroment"

... how would you expand on that... i still tried reaserching but i found nothing..

oh yeah and the job for this is a seed technologist right?...i think

Update:

i ment if there are any crops besides corn that is genetically engeneered. i also ment whats a way to xpand "crossing species boundaries creating new plants and long tem affects on human heath and the enviroment "

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wow, this is an extremely broad topic, which hundreds of possibilities may occur. Due to the wording of the question I may have not understood it the way it was intended; if that is the case please re-word.

Transgenic involvement in crops, refers to plants created in a laboratory using recombinant DNA technology. Since I am not aware of your understanding, here is a brief summary of what this technology entails.

Plants have particularly phenotypes (genes) which represent a specific feature of the plant. For example, along with the other alleles (what makes up a gene), there is an allele for color; lets take for example a pea. Lets say a pea has two choices, green or yellow. Green is represented as G + g; capital G represents the dominant form, lower case g represents recessive form. Yellow is represented as Y + y; capital Y represents the dominant form, lower case y represents recessive form.

From here a variable of opportunities are possible, to save space, lets say the pea is yellow in the end.(this is the process for one attribute)

Now, your question. Lets take a soy plant for example. If the natural phenotype for this plant is 9312562 (made up). Lets say a scientist wants to 'improve' this plant by increasing the amount of something it produces; he/she may change it to 9312563.

The human species is constantly changing. With a new generation comes a new modification (sorta speak).

So for the hundreds of years that 9312562 was consumed, the new borns were presented with a recognition (if you will) if that type. Now 9312563 comes by, a man whom is 35years old tries this and sticks to it for years. This modification of the plant will eventually generate a modification which will occur in this man, in response to the plant modification.

Ethics; hmmmm. I have a problem with ethics. Ethics is defined as- A set of principles of right conduct. Whom decides what is right or wrong? Church, government, parents, location of inhabitation.etc.....

Assuming this question is from the U.S., I may have an idea of what ethics you are referring to. In terms of science, no there is nothing wrong with this; it offers a betterment of man (maybe). In respects to humans, no this is not ethical. Why? Two reasons that i can think of; First, for those of higher power worship, this is playing 'God'. Secondly, aside from population control possibilities, this genetic variation may lead to increased genetic mutation; either the cells of the ingesting organism (in this case humans) or cause a chain reaction of mutation for all crops sharing the same soil.

P.S. This is just one possible occurrence.

• 1 decade ago

In Ottawa, Canada we have a museum that also runs a very large farm where they experiment with different crops....http://www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/ the scientists who work there also manipulate genes to determine crop outputs for disease resistance, hardiness nutrition etc...ask them for information! They love to help

Source(s): http://www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/ Canadian Museum of Agriculture in Ottawa, Canada
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.