Police officers: Do you shoot to kill or shoot to stop?

When you draw your pistol, do you shoot to kill, shoot to stop, or just shoot to hit, and then think later? I've always been asked if it's better to shoot to stop and wound, or to shoot to kill, and end the threat regardless. Will it all depend on the circumstances? If an intruder breaks into your home,... show more When you draw your pistol, do you shoot to kill, shoot to stop, or just shoot to hit, and then think later?

I've always been asked if it's better to shoot to stop and wound, or to shoot to kill, and end the threat regardless.

Will it all depend on the circumstances?

If an intruder breaks into your home, and he's armed with a gun, and you see that you have a clean shot on him, would you shoot to kill, or shoot to wound?

Obviously if you're in a shoot out with a gunman, you're going to aim for whatever you can get, but givin the opportunity, what do you prefer, and why?
Update: Adam, I said givin the opportunity. You're behind the intruder who broke into your house. He doesn't see you, but you don't know if he's armed. You have a choice of ending him right there, or shooting him in the leg.