Why do they collect just the ring pulls of cans and not the whole thing?

At my little brothers school they collect the ring pulls of cans of drink each year to give to a charity organization to make wheelchairs for those in 3rd world countries. i think its a great idea, but we were wondering why they don't collect the whole can.

• David
    Favorite Answer

Sorry, but even though your brother's teachers may have good intentions, pull-tabs are essentially worthless. They're just fun to collect and look impressive when you put 5,000 or so in a ziplock bag, which is why so many people do it without question.

Check out this article from snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

Source(s): Again, read the Snopes article to understand the ignorance in what Red Beard said.... Soda can tabs are so arbitrary, they are no more a form of currency than pebbles or staples. They're utterly worthless.

Ring Pull Cans

It sounds really stupid, there are many sites that classify it as a hoax. however, I am thinking it makes sense in some Australian states (such as South Australia) where you get a 10 cents rebate per each recycled can or bottle. You will still get your $.1 rebate even for a can without the ring pull. The pulls get exchanged for cash at scrape metal collection depots. Don't get excited though, they pay around $2 per kilo of aluminium. Therefore, it makes sense only at the large scale.

I have a friend who saves the pull tabs for making crafts, but you made me curious, so I googled. The site below, which collects tabs for Ronald McDonald's House charity, says:

"We take the pull-tabs to a local recycling center, where they are weighed and redeemed for cash per pound. This money goes directly into our main operating fund to support our mission of service to our children and their families."

Pull tabs are a sort of currency some are collected for minutes on kidney machines some are use to pay for wheelchairs stuff like that, that's all that's about.

I think it is because the rings get stuck around the neck's of animals and also the charity must hand in say 10,000 rings pulls and they get a wheelchair from some company.

• Bobby

It is just based on another false rumor that they are worth something. The whole cans are indeed worth something. Here they bring in 5 cents per can. Even if there is no deposit on them, they can be sold for the aluminum.

• Meli

The pull tabs are a higher grade of aluminum. You need 50 million of them (give or take a million or two) to be worth much though.

I think it is just a way to enlighten people on the possibilities of recycling also.

iv heard that they use those to make the needles that the doctor use to give shots